R.I.P. Les Hyde , Nutmeg

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

camroll

R.I.P. Les Hyde , Nutmeg

Post by camroll »

Another Cape Dory captain sails over the final horizon. Les Hyde, of Tenant's Harbor, Maine, CD captain, educator, and evironmentalist passed away this past December 25th after a short struggle with cancer. Les had led the Maine Cape Dory cruising Group on their annual cruise several times and has spoken at the NE Fleets annual meeting. He was also instrumental in getting High Island in Long Cove to be preserved as public land. Him and Anne have also hosted the annual Long Cove Regatta for many years. Les sailed a CD 36 named Nutmeg all over the Maine coast. A very well attended memorial service was held this past weekend in Rockland. He will be missed and may he Rest In Peace.
Jim Walsh

Re: R.I.P. Les Hyde , Nutmeg

Post by Jim Walsh »

Thanks for posting. Les will certainly be missed by all. My condolences to his family.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'm so sorry to hear this. Les and Anne graciously hosted our family at their house a few years ago. He always had a smile, and was very generous with his time and made a lasting impact on a lot of people.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
mthunberg

Post by mthunberg »

Thank you for posting this sad news. There are people we meet in this world who do amazing things to improve our lives and bring fond memories and smiles to everyone they meet. We are so very lucky to have met Les. He was such a giving person.