Temp and Pressure Sender Thread Size for 4018?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Temp and Pressure Sender Thread Size for 4018?

Post by Doug Gibson »

One of my winter projects is to build a new instrument panel for the Perkins 4108 in my '87 CD36. (a foot went through the panel on our last coastal cruise!) I'm using new Faria-Beede gauges and will replace the old/original water temp and oil pressure senders with units that combine both a sender and switch - I am adding an alarm to the panel for high temp and low pressure.

Has anyone replaced these and happen to know the thread size for either of the senders? It will be a while before I can get down to the boat to pull them and check.
Doug Gibson
Skylark

Re: Temp and Pressure Sender Thread Size for 4018?

Post by Skylark »

I believe they are 1/4"NPT. Post some pictures. I'm interested in redoing my instrument panel. It leaks into the quarter berth with any weather.
J Stevenson

Post by J Stevenson »

I asked the owner of the engine shop we use. His response: "oil pressure port is 1/8" npt and water is 1/2" npt".
His contact info:
Patrick J. Ricci, President
Thomaston Boat & Engine Works, Inc.

MAIL & SHIP TO ADDRESS, PARTS AND OPERATIONS LOCATION:
Thomaston Boat and Engine Works, Inc.
2 Atlantic Highway
Thomaston, Maine 04861

VESSEL STORAGE ANNEX ONLY:
Thomaston Boat and Engine Works, Inc.
9 Beechwood Street
Thomaston, ME 04861

207-354-0200 office
207-542-2300 cellular
www.thomastonboatandengineworks.com website
e-mail; pricci@mindspring.com
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

I used the new engine panel kit from TransAtlatic Diesel. The gauges are Faria, and the kit comes with a full wiring harness, the two senders, and two alarm switches for Perkins 4.108. The senders have to match the gauges, else they won't read accurately. The buzzer alarm for low oil pressure, or high engine temp, is plenty loud and could save your engine.

John
CD36 TIARA
New%20Panel%202017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.