Chipped Cam Shaft end -- slot for oil pump key Volvo MD2B

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Balestrand

Chipped Cam Shaft end -- slot for oil pump key Volvo MD2B

Post by Balestrand »

Well, I've done it now.

Had to prime the oil pump on my MD2B and, working blind behind the flywheel, apparently reattached it with the key misaligned to the female end on the engine that turns it. I'm assuming this is the end of the cam shaft? As soon as I turned the key, I knew there was a problem and turned it right off. Engine didn't have time to start.

The chip is not horrible, but I'd like to try to build it up so there is less chance of weird torque on the oil pump key. Any suggestions for materials or techniques?

Photo attached.

Thanks,
Robert
Maine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frenchy

Re: Chipped Cam Shaft end -- slot for oil pump key Volvo MD2

Post by Frenchy »

Robert, I think the best you can do is to grind out the protruding metal with a small cone shaped grinding stone in a dremel tool. The bad news
is there's no way to easily replace the metal lost. The good news is that you have enough bearing surface on the diameter and the rectangular key to where it won't matter. The mission would be to remove any metal that would prevent the mating part from fully engaging. -Good luck, Jean

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-1-4-i ... /203641152
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Balestrand

Post by Balestrand »

Thanks, Jean--
I did find it odd that there was enough of that circular space to allow the rectangular key on the pump to insert jammed up. My fault for not inspecting more thoroughly, of course. I will proceed as you suggest. Now to try to get the flywheel off...
~Robert
Frenchy wrote:Robert, I think the best you can do is to grind out the protruding metal with a small cone shaped grinding stone in a dremel tool. The bad news
is there's no way to easily replace the metal lost. The good news is that you have enough bearing surface on the diameter and the rectangular key to where it won't matter. The mission would be to remove any metal that would prevent the mating part from fully engaging. -Good luck, Jean

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-1-4-i ... /203641152
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Robert, I think the grinding stone I linked is probably going to be big for your task. You probably want something smaller, like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-1-8-i ... /203362653

Anyway, good luck, take it slowly and carefully- just remove enough to clear it out and no more. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts