What would you do?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

What would you do?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Earlier this week I left my mooring with a reefed mainsail, because winds on the previous day had led me to reef underway. When I got out into Buzzards Bay, I realized I didn't need the reef, so I partially furled my genny, hove to and started shaking out the reef.

While I was lashing my tiller, I noticed my local Sea Tow contractor's RIB keeping a respectful distance, but staying close to me. When I finished shaking out the reef and started sailing again, the Sea Tow vessel went on its way.

I didn't want to break the rhythm of my well-practiced maneuver by trying to call Sea Tow on the VHF, because I know I would have to go through their dispatcher, switch channels and call the RIB directly. But, I wonder, should I have given him a hand signal indicating that I didn't need help?

A now-retired sailing friend used to curse the Sea Tow and Towboat US vessels that often patrol in the area, looking for business. He called them "damned vultures." I've never felt that way--after all, if I had been in trouble, I know that help was already at hand. But did I owe the Sea Tow operator the courtesy of a hand signal?

I wonder how others would have handled this situation.

Thanks,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: What would you do?

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Joe:

My perspective would be that you probably should not waive at Sea Tow until after you had completed your task(s). S/he may think you are signaling for help and will cause him/her to move in.

It is also possible s/he was just "hanging out" and happened to be doing so at the time and place you decided to shake out your reef.

Once your task was done and you were back at the helm then I think a waive would be appropriate. If s/he was keeping a watchful eye at a respectful distance just to make sure you were OK, then your waive would be interpreted as a "thanks for staying around". If s/he was just "hanging out" then it would be interpreted as a "hi".

Of course, all of the above changes depending on whether the Sea Tow captain was an attractive female or an old fat geezer. :wink: :D Your post does not provide these details.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

We went through Cape May, NJ a few years back and Sea Tow sits on their cabin top like a vulture.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

No action required. That eliminates confusion. Also, you were smart not to get distracted.

No reason why you shouldn't wave as you sail past.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

In defense of Sea Tow and the other tow boats... their presence doesn't increase the number of boats in distress. If they're hanging out in areas where boats have a higher tendency to run aground or otherwise get in trouble, who loses? If you don't need them, it costs you nothing; if you do, they're on scene in way less time.

As for the uninitiated presuming that a hove to boat is in trouble, yup, I get that one all the time. It's usually a polite ask as to whether all is okay and if I need a hand.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I concur, no action necessary. Focus on the foredeck work or at the mast work at hand. There's enough to go wrong when solo sailing anyway!

I recently tucked in two reefs at anchor before going out in forecasted 15 knots, not insignificantly because of recent back surgery and I didn't want to have any extra work. I was sure glad I did; the wind piped up to 23kts. A great 7+knot sail with a light helm to a lovely anchorage was had.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
CDSOA Member