Help how to install inner stay on cape dory 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

arch007

Help how to install inner stay on cape dory 28

Post by arch007 »

I would like to install an inner stay on my cape dory 28 for a storm jib.

It has roller furling.

I wonder if anyone can provide instructions or photos on how to do this ?

Thanks,

arch
rorik

Re: Help how to install inner stay on cape dory 28

Post by rorik »

I have all hank on sails, but you could give this a look:

http://www.atninc.com/atn-gale-sail-sai ... ment.shtml
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It is not entirely clear whether your jib or the storm sail is on a furler. I am assuming it is the jib.

If you want to install an inner stay, you just need to make sure you use a good backing plate and I think you will need some sort of quick detachment for the stay. It is very hard to tack a large head sail past and inner stay if there is not a sail set on it. Since you want to use the inner for a storm sail I would think it would be bare at most times and you will be flying a Genoa. You are definitely going ot have to get the stay out of the way and only set it when you think you might need it.

Leo McDonald added an inner stay to his boat a long time ago but you should be able to find the thread in the search mode, Steve.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

This is generally referred to as a solent stay. I have one on KAYLA and will take some pics of it stowed and deployed.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
c1josh

Post by c1josh »

A 'Solent Stay' is usually close to the original head stay. The original poster may want a shorter 'staysail stay' that is closer to the mast, about 1/3rd of the way back from the bow. This allows a storm sail to be set from a safer position on deck, and brings the center of effort (of the sails) closer to the center of lateral resistance (of the keel).

OTOH Here is someone who installed a Solent Stay to have a place to raise a storm jib.
http://gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... .html#more

I've no connection to the owner of "Aeolus" other than respecting his choice of sailmaker for his new jib, Carol Hasse.

-Josh
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

The advantage of a Solent stay is there is no requirement for intermediate stays or runners. One disadvantage is you are not tacking the jib past it and another is you typical don't fly headsails off the Solent stay and head stay at the same time. Of course you sometimes see some boats flaying a jib on the Solent and a code zero off the headstay or off a retractable sprit when close reaching or other points of sail further off the wind.

If you do decide to install a forestay(that's what it is called as it support the fore stays'l) rather than a Solent stay you would be wise to install aft intermediates (similar to those on the cutter rigged CDs) or running back stays to counter the loads a forestay can add to to the mast.

When I built the new taller rig for the Far Reach I eliminated the aft intermediates that were part of the original rig and installed runners. I am not a spar engineer though I have read and educated myself about it--had to to built a new mast. While the CD after intermediates appear to work well on the very strong and heavy Rig-Rite spars, generally that approach is frowned upon. The argument is the aft intermediates exert more downward force and not enough aft force to really counter the loads of a forestay. However, Lyle Hess designed aft intermediates into the BCC and I have never heard a complaint. My new mast is considerably lighter and more slender than the Rig-Rite spar. I submitted my rig design to Brian Toss before it was built and he was a strong proponent for runners over aft intermediates. That is the way I built it and I have been happy with the dyneema runners and dynex-dux forestay. I have relied on the forestay and stays'l a lot and have nothing but praise for its merits.

I mention all this to encourage you to do your homework before you start drilling holes and attaching hardware. There has been a lot written about adding an additional stay to include techniques for countering loads the tack fitting can/will exert on the deck of your boat.

All of these things can be overcome and in fact it is not a difficult modification but it does require you to be smart and thoughtful about the design and modification method you choose. You might get away with a simple mod but then again the main purpose of a fore stays'l is for heavy weather and that's the last time you want something to fail.