Suzuki 2.5hp repair

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Suzuki 2.5hp repair

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

My 2.5 would only start at a high throttle setting. I thought about this and read stuff on the interweb and took my carb off and apart. There is a tiny orofice that controls gas flow at low speed. Most likely clogged but hard to clean, at least for me. Solution: buy a new carb and bolt it on. Cost $129, could of got it from Japan for $100 including shipping, but local dealer would provide advice if needed and had recommended the solution. Better he said than paying our labor rate of $120/hr. This solution may well work efficiently for other small ob engines - so posted here.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
hinmo

Re: Suzuki 2.5hp repair

Post by hinmo »

Hey Dick (fellow CD owner and Mattapoisettite)

I pretty sure you can find my posting of the same solution for the same engine somewhere here on these forums. Also, I got my Suzuki carb for about $65 mail order from somewhere....although about 5 years ago.

Honestly, I got rid of the Suzuki after 2 new carbs over a span of about 5 years, Now I have my trusty Nissan 3.5 2strk.....never look back!
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Ethenol based gas...always run float dry after use...never store with stale gas in carb! Lawnmower has same issue but carbs are only about 12 bucks.

Pete
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

Dick Kobayashi wrote:My 2.5 would only start at a high throttle setting ... took my carb off and apart ... clogged but hard to clean ... new carb ...
I'd bet that most small outboards eventually have a similar problem. As mentioned by others in this thread, the "trick" is to remove all fuel from the carb during storage, and sometimes that means even very short-term storage.

On the many two stroke engines I've used over the years, removing and cleaning the carb was mostly a matter of careful and patient detail work, using one of the various carb cleaning sprays. Always worked well, but unfortunately this procedure was always needed, and usually often.

Since 2010 I've been using a 3.5 four stroke, where the carb is a bit more sophisticated and complex. I've therefore avoided disassembly. Fortunately I've had far fewer issues with this Tohatsu because I religiously give it "by-the-book" service. The carb is always cleaned, the unit flushed, etc., after use.

If four stroke units weren't so heavy compared with two stroke models, I'd have to say this little engine is about perfect.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dick:

As suggested by Pete, the problem is likely ethanol fuel. Installing a new carb may only be a temporary fix. If you are using ethanol fuel the ethanol will continue to eat away at rubber material and clog the carb.

As discussed in other threads, find a marina that sells non-ethanol fuel. Continue to use various fuel additives (Startron, etc.). Stay away from ethanol. :!: :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

I agree with Roberto as to the use of gas mixed with ethanol. Non ethanol gas is readily available here in central NYS although lt costs a little bit more than regular 87 octane gas does. The non ethanol gas sold here is 91 octane. I suggest that you avoid gas with ethanol mixed in.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Funny thing is that they produce alcohol from corn in South Dakota and I spend several weeks a year there for hunting and visiting the wife's extended family. South Dakota has a huge outdoorsman's presence and every other truck seems to be hauling a boat to go out walleye fishing.

Every gas station that I have stopped at in South Dakota sells non alcohol gas....every one! (it does cost a few cents more than the 85% but only a few cents) So there is no doubt that the locals know to keep the alcohol away from small engines. Here in Virginia very very few stations have none alcohol diluted fuel...generally have to go to an airfield (planes can't use alcohol based fuels) or marina both of which charge much higher rates.

I think we as outdoorsmen need to tell our congressmen to fix this problem or force pro alcohol manufacturing states to eat their own dog food.

V/r

Pete
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Most interesting.

When I put the new carb in I did not connect the tube from the crankcase to the air inlet figuring that it just put exhaust gases and motor oil residue into the carb - bad for those small orfices, I think. Interested in opinions on this.

Hard to get non ethanol gas here in MA

I will give my old carb to anyone with the patience to fix - only charge would be postage. Any takers?
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dick:

This is one of several websites that list places where you can buy non-ethanol gas.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MA

There are several other websites that have similar lists.

I am not that familiar with Eastern Ma., that is, Mattapoisett, however it looks like there are several places within the 508 area code that sell non-ethanol gas. There is one in Falmouth (for personal reasons, I am familiar with Falmouth area :!: :wink: ) that you could probably get to easier by sailing there than driving there. There is also one in Swansea

There is also one in my hometown (Pittsfield) :D :D :D That may be a little too far for you to drive but the Berkshires are beautiful, especially in about 2 months.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil