Belews Lake, North Carolina

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Belews Lake, North Carolina

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Restricted to modified duty and with idle time. Sad :(

As most on this board know I am very interested in permanently getting out of "Hurricane Alley". I have been looking at various inland lakes along the East Coast as well as some marinas along the West Coast (Ca., Oregon, etc.).

I recently came across Belews Lake, N.C. Back in 2009 there apparently was a very nice Cape Dory 25D homeported on the lake. The only marina I could find is called "Carolina Marina". It seems reasonably nice.

Sooooooooooooooooo, in my continuing quest for a place where I can sail and SCUBA and not worry about hurricanes, I am seriously looking at Belews Lake.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this area of North Carolina :?: Does anyone know of a reputable and honest real estate agent in that area :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all information, suggestions, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Andy Denmark

Re: Belews Lake, North Carolina

Post by Andy Denmark »

Roberto,

Your fear of hurricanes is unwarranted, BTW.

Belews Creek is a local sailing hole for a small percentage of the Greensboro crowd. I sold the CD-25 you mentioned to the owner who chose to put his new Cape Dory there. He still lives in Greensboro and I see him occasionally. Belews Creek is a big puddle, a cooling pond for Duke Power and a once-popular sailing venue for a few boats. I don't think there's enough water there for a continuous 5-mile leg anywhere.

To me, putting a proven coastal water boat at Belews Creek is a sick sort of joke in a state with so much waterfront --- and only 4 hours drive to/ from Oriental.

My $.02 worth

Andy
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Andy Denmark wrote:Roberto,

Your fear of hurricanes is unwarranted, BTW. Andy
Andy:

I appreciate your thoughts about Belews Lake. I acknowledge it is really not for an Alberg Cape Dory 25D. I am just trying to find someplace away from hurricanes.

My fear of hurricanes is warranted and well-founded. On 24 August 1992 my home, along with thousands of other homes, blew away in a Cat. 5 hurricane. It was (and is) your namesake - Hurricane Andrew. Thanks a lot :?: :D :wink:

I know you are familiar with hurricanes so you will understand when I tell you we got "the north wall" of Andrew for almost four (4) hours. The strongest winds - sustained at above 160 mph, with tornadoes. When I say blew away I mean 80% of roof structure and framing gone; 99% of interior furniture gone; 95% of interior walls gone. At least three (3) people (including 2 children) died in my neighborhood when the second floor collapsed down on top of them. I have seen what a small bomb blast does to a supposedly secure structure. My neighborhood looked like a war zone.

I have a healthy respect for the sound of an RPG and the cacophony of a AK 47. From 24 August 1992 until today I now have a very healthy respect for the sound of a Cat. 5 hurricane. I have a strong preference not to hear it again.

If you and your better half are ever again in South Florida or the Keys I would hope to hook up again for a good meal and a talk of boats, "ponds", etc. - if I am still in "hurricane alley". :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Roberto
Lakes Lanier and Hartwell would be good choices in N.C and Georgia.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Thanks Pete. They are both on my list along with Lake Murray and a few others. I agree with Andy D. that Belews Lake is probably too small.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
House

Post by House »

Robert,

You should look into New Bern, NC. It's upstream on the Neuse River from Oriental. Great sailing, and far enough inland to escape the wrath of most hurricanes (Irene notwithstanding).

https://www.visitnewbern.com

We've had our 28 here since 2009 and love it.

Richard
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Roberto,

Don't forget Kerr Lake on the NC/VA line between Henderson, NC and Danville, VA. Some nice marinas (at least one permits liveaboards), some big open water stretches, good anchorages, a nice non-resident yacht club based in Danville, VA. Several active sailing clubs located around the lake. Check out Townsville landing, Satterwhite Point, Danville, others.

I'm sure there is much more there than in the 60's and 70's when I kept a boat there and sailed almost every weekend.

1-1/2 hours north of Raleigh, 1 hour north of Durham, so "big city" is a close enough drive if you want spend lots of money. Several nice little towns round the periphery of the lake. Lake is 40+ miles long and you almost get out of sight of land in places.

Might as well look at all options.

Andy
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Roberto, have you considered the Chesapeake? You are not going to have year round warm weather but three pretty good sailing seasons. August on the Chesapeake might actually be comfortable compared to what you get down in Florida. The Chesapeake is not hurricane proof by any means but it's not on the coast. It has many hurricane holes and plenty of marinas to haul the boat.

The Chesapeake is a gunkholers dream, second only to Maine IMHO. It's where I began sailing Cape Dorys back in the early 80's. Cape Dorys (maybe with the exception of Typhoons) belong on open waters.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Thanks all :!:

House: I have spent time around the Morehead City/Jacksonville area. Bern, NC is a beautiful part of the country. Unfortunately, not far enough "inland" for me.

Joe: Sadly, the same with the Chesapeake. Gorgeous part of US but still subject to hurricanes --maybe not as many as SE Florida but still more than I want - especially if I am going to leave the most beautiful part of the US - SE Florida, where northerners fight to get on planes heading south in the winter months. If only there were no "H" events. :( :( :(

Andy: Kerr Lake is a great "get". Thanks :!: I have been looking at inland lakes for a while and never came across Kerr Lake. So much for "Mr. Google". I will definitely do some research. It is well inland, nice size, reasonably good location (sort of close to DC/Maryland area) and near Raleigh/Durham where Duke U has a research hyperbaric chamber. :wink: Many thanks Andy :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Are the Great Lakes out of consideration?
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jerry:

Unfortunately, yes. The Great Lakes and the whole area are beautiful. However, very, very cold. The sailing season is short and the SCUBA diving is cold water drysuit diving. I have done my share (more than my share) of cold water diving.

When looking at inland lakes one of the first websites I go to is the Weather Channel for monthly weather patterns (average highs, average lows, etc.). If available I also check lake water temps. In my old age I am becoming more and more demanding of retirement locations. :roll:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Roberto, everything is a compromise. I'm lucky in that I love the cold and snow of Maine in winter as much as the frequent perfect summer sailing weather and unlimited harbors. Might live there year round if not for the kids and grand kids all being in the Philly area. The price I pay is the frequent 450+ mile commutes every other week or so. I don't think I could take a small lake with a large boat very long. I'd probably be happier with a Ty or some other day sailor.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.