Vexing problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Vexing problem

Post by M. R. Bober »

A new wrinkle...
Starview has three water tanks (bow, starboard, and quarterberth). I filled the bow tank. Next morning it was empty. Shut the bow tank valve at the manifold and refilled the bow tank. Next morning the bow tank was still full. So I was convinced that the tank was not leaking. A good thing, but having to replace the piping between the tank and the water pump is a bad thing. A significant amount of interior deconstruction is required.

Long story short: It wasn't the piping. It was a seat washer on the bow tank valve at the manifold. Because the bow tank is higher than the other two, it drained into them. The valve stems cannot be removed without disassembling the valve. It is easier to remove the manifold --5 tubes with hose clamps and a few screws--and work on the valves at the bench.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where it is mighty hot.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
bottomscraper

Re: Vexing problem

Post by bottomscraper »

Our original manifold was soldered washered globe valves and copper tubing. I made a new one using ball valves, threaded fittings and real hose barbs. The hoses clamped directly on copper tubing just weren't working for me.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Mitchell, I have exactly the same problem. When the boat gets layed up in the fall, I'll copy Rich's idea. I'm not crazy about
gate valves either. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I decided to fix the manifold sooner when I got a bit inspired by the SeaTech fittings I saw at FreshWaterSystems.com. To anyone
interested, the manifold consists of:
3 single stem bodies (left), 3591-1810
1 single union body, 3589-1810
1 end plug 3546-18
1 reducing stem 3514-1810
5 stackable hose barb unions 3511-1008
1 stackable hose barb elbow
2 single side mounting kits 3581-18

All together, the price was about $80. The manifold fit under the sink with no modifications. The picture showing it alongside the old
manifold is a bit deceptive, since the 1/2" hose barbs were not fully inserted yet and the overall length later decreased.- Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
KMagill

Post by KMagill »

Frenchy wrote:I decided to fix the manifold sooner when I got a bit inspired by the SeaTech fittings I saw at FreshWaterSystems.com. To anyone
interested, the manifold consists of:
3 single stem bodies (left), 3591-1810
1 single union body, 3589-1810
1 end plug 3546-18
1 reducing stem 3514-1810
5 stackable hose barb unions 3511-1008
1 stackable hose barb elbow
2 single side mounting kits 3581-18

All together, the price was about $80. The manifold fit under the sink with no modifications. The picture showing it alongside the old
manifold is a bit deceptive, since the 1/2" hose barbs were not fully inserted yet and the overall length later decreased.- Jean

Nice Work!
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106