Need a propeller shop recommendation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jen1722terry

Need a propeller shop recommendation

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey Cder's

As some of you know, we put a new Beta Marine 25 engine on Glissade over the winter. The work was done at Derecktor-Robbinhood Marine over in Georgetown, ME, a yard many of you are, we're sure, familiar with.

A new prop was recommended, which we approved. At launching, it appeared the prop was incorrectly pitched, which resulted in smoking and the inability of the engine to reach max. rpms. The prop was returned to the vendor for re-pitching, but the vendor was "backed up," so the prop was sent to another shop on July 9 for repitching. Still no results.

The marina has informed us that the vendor will not return our money, as the prop was used for the test run (less than an hour). At $600, we are reluctant to buy yet another new prop.

So, do any of you know of a shop that can re-pitch a 3-bladed prop on short notice? Any referrals would be most welcome, as we would like to get our summer cruise underway.

Hope all of you are enjoying your sailing season. We are not terribly unhappy being stuck in the slip at Robbinhood, one of Maine's prettier harbors.

Jenn and Terry McAdams
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
terrible23

Re: Need a propeller shop recommendation

Post by terrible23 »

This sounds like a long distance to go, but try FRANK & JIMMIE'S in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I dealt with them often, some years ago, and they were accurate, and fast when I asked, and not outrageously expensive. (But that was then, and this is now. Jimmie, Jr. now runs the business.) Even with the shipping expense and time, they might be worth checking.

However, there MUST be a reputable shop in NE???

Good luck, Ken
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

jen1722terry wrote:Hey Cder's
As some of you know, we put a new Beta Marine 25 engine on Glissade over the winter. The work was done at Derecktor-Robbinhood Marine over in Georgetown, ME, a yard many of you are, we're sure, familiar with.

A new prop was recommended, which we approved. At launching, it appeared the prop was incorrectly pitched, which resulted in smoking and the inability of the engine to reach max. rpms. The prop was returned to the vendor for re-pitching, but the vendor was "backed up," so the prop was sent to another shop on July 9 for repitching. Still no results.

The marina has informed us that the vendor will not return our money, as the prop was used for the test run (less than an hour). At $600, we are reluctant to buy yet another new prop.

Jenn and Terry McAdams
I never stayed at Robinhood Marine before it was sold. I also never had any work done at Robinhood Marine. However, I have read posts on this board about Robinhood Marine. I cannot think of one negative comment.

Robinhood Marine was sold (I think last year) and, as you point out, is now owned and operated by Derecktor Marine.

I am having a difficult time understanding why Derecktor/Robinhood is not standing by its customer (you) and why they are not dealing with the prop shop vendor(s). Derecktor/Robinhood recommended a new prop and they presumably recommended a prop shop. If there are legitimate issue(s) with the prop pitch, etc., that should be resolved by the prop shop and Derecktor/Robinhood. You should not have to be dealing with the prop shop. I ain't no lawyer (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn last month) but common sense would suggest that while Derecktor/Robinhood may not be legally responsible for delivering a proper prop, they have a moral and business obligation to do what is right by the customer. $600 may not be a lot to Derecktor/Robinhood but it is a lot to a sailor.

Derecktor/Robinhood should have told the first prop shop that you are a valued customer and that "backed up" or not they need to give your prop priority. Again, I ain't no prop expert, but I suspect that you did not recommend the pitch, etc. Either someone at Derecktor/Robinhood or the 1st prop shop recommended the pitch. Assuming that is the cause, it is (or should be) their responsibility to fix it and fix it NOW.

I had often thought of bringing S/V Bali Ha'i to Robinhood for the summer months and storing her there over the winter months. I have very fond memories of the attitude and quality of service at Robinhood Marine during the short time I was there in 2007 as a guest aboard a Cape Dory/Robinhood 36.

Given your post, unless Derecktor/Robinhood modifies it position, I am reluctant to consider such a move.

I wish you the best with quickly resolving your issue. You are stuck ashore. For reasons not here relevant so am I. I know the feeling. It ain't pleasant. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

https://www.hhprop.com
http://www.midmainemarine.com/service-d ... m?id=49353
http://nautilus-marine.com/prop-service.html

If I didn't have a trusted referral I'd contact one of these local vendors. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

AccuTech in Dover NH did ours, it was a quick turnaround but it was earlier in the season.

http://www.accutechmarine.com
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I agree with Roberto. Robinhood has some responsibility in this. If they recommended a prop change they should be fixing the problem. I would not let them off the hook too easily.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Thanks to all the usual suspects for the sage advice.

Oddly, we just heard from Neil Collins last night that the repitched prop was in and they will sea trial early next week to see if the pitch is correct. Hope so.

One thing we don't know that I'll have to research (unless one of you knows the answer) is: is a repitched prop as durable as one that had not been repitched? Interesting question.

Anyhow, we'll let you know how the sea trial goes next week. Thanks again for the kind advice.

Speaking of Robbinhood: we're hoping to be there for the big bash on August 4 as well as the Maine cruise. Hope to see some old friends and make some new ones. Let's all do our "good weather dance" for that week.

On an unrelated note: Dave Perry at Robbinhood just sold a gorgeous CD 36, "Windwalker," with lovely blue/gray topsides. The boat was in storage for seven years and the Robbinhood gang have been going over every detail to restore her to handsome seaworthyness. What a great looking boat inside and out. We met the new owner, Bob Nutt. He's a very experienced sailor and boat restorer. Can't wait to see her under sail.

All else well over here in Sunny Nova Scotia. We plan on bringing our 31 back over here in September.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I don't know about H&H in Salem, MA for props but they did great fabrication work for me and a few others I know. And their main business is props. And there are a TON of them in their shop.
Jeff
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

SUCCESS!!!!!

We just head from Robbinhood that our new prop sea trialed wonderfully with the re-pitch: max rpm and no smoke. Reverse steering is still an adventure, but that's never gonna change.

We're over at the Nova Scotia house for some paperwork and maintenance. Can't wait to get back aboard and enjoy the best the Maine coast has to offer.

See you all at the cruise next month, and thanks again for the kind advice.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Who did the re pitching of the prop?
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:Who did the re pitching of the prop?
And...what is the size of this prop with the perfect pitch? The details could be very helpful to anyone going through a similar repower in the future.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time