Installed a Windex on my Ty

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ben Miller

Installed a Windex on my Ty

Post by Ben Miller »

I wanted to install a Windex on my Typhoon this summer, and after pondering different options and doing some internet research, this is the method I came up with. I went with the Windex 10 Sport, FYI, which was on sale on West Marine at the time.

The Typhoon masthead fitting is pretty tiny, so it's not easy to find a good spot for the Windex base. I finally settled on mounting it horizontally on the fin and then putting a 90 degree bend in the Windex shaft. I bent it over a 3/4" pipe to give it a nice radius and it seems to be working out fine. One big caveat with this method: You have to put the bend in the shaft so that the new leg points directly away from the vanes. If you don't think if this beforehand and you wind up with some odd angle between the vane axis and your mounting leg, you'll have ruined your shaft. Don't ask me how I know this...
Attachments
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1357.JPG (4.63 MiB) Viewed 382 times
IMG_1333.jpg
IMG_1333.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 382 times
ariasis

Re: Installed a Windex on my Ty

Post by ariasis »

Mine is still working great. That is when it is working the spiders like to build webs on mine.

Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Ben Miller

Re: Installed a Windex on my Ty

Post by Ben Miller »

Even on a mooring, it's hard to keep the spiders at bay. That model looks easier to install than mine. Is it from a brand other than Davis?