25 mast support imbed steel structure?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Astronomertoo

25 mast support imbed steel structure?

Post by Astronomertoo »

Does anyone here have knowledge of the original steel imbeded below the mast in the early series of 25s, like my 1975? I would like to know if it is just a port to starboard, or fore and aft steel plate glassed in below the mast plate, or if it is a larger square plate. I guess I can drill exploratory holes to find out and then fill and finish them, but it would be better to know if anyone has a real source of old factory info or pictures on the subject.
Thanks for any input.
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
hilbert

Re: 25 mast support imbed steel structure?

Post by hilbert »

Here is an article on the mast steps used by Cape Dory in the 70s.
It has pictures of the rectangular 5" x 2" mild steel used under the mast step.
Although the pictures are from a 27, the mast step of the 25 is probably similar.

http://www.sailfeed.com/2015/09/mast-st ... ollective/

Jonathan
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

Wow
Wish I had my Catalina back!
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

The 25 is not an Alberg design, although the later ones were built by Cape Dory they might not have the same mast support design as the Alberg designed Cape Dorys.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

tjr818 wrote:The 25 is not an Alberg design, although the later ones were built by Cape Dory they might not have the same mast support design as the Alberg designed Cape Dorys.
Correct. It was originally the Greenwich 24 designed by George Stadel, Jr. and made by Allied Boat Company. Cape Dory bought the design and modified it to the CD25.

My experience with them was great performance when the bottom is clean and sails are fresh. Oh, and you're not dragging around an outboard in the well... On my last CD25, the engine "lived" on the cockpit sole unless absolutely necessary... :)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

hilbert wrote:Here is an article on the mast steps used by Cape Dory in the 70s.
It has pictures of the rectangular 5" x 2" mild steel used under the mast step.
Although the pictures are from a 27, the mast step of the 25 is probably similar.

http://www.sailfeed.com/2015/09/mast-st ... ollective/

Jonathan
----------
Thanks for the comments that I have read to date, down to Michael/CD28. The welcome details on the steel support on the 27 and 28 are likely a good indication that since the fore-aft oriented steel tube steel was installed over the 2 head bulkheads as drawn and built in the same manner, then I believe it safe to assume all the common mid size CDs in the 70s were built similarly. But we know about "assume." I have time to see if anyone else out here has first hand knowledge to share. I am not worried about a little rust in there, and my glass structure "sounds" good in that area. I suspect most of the rusting comes from the center hole full of silicone seal (!) for the mast wiring which is a mistake. But the previous owner cutout the total front support bulkhead, as well as the starbd side mid bulkhead, which leaves the mast support below deck unsatisfactory. The cabin topside became the only support up front. When I get around to epoxy work tabbing/filleting of my all new (sapele ?) bulkheads, I will drill some exploratory holes at that top deck support area to see how the glass structure is, and where the limits of the mast steel internal support are in my 1975 CD25. When I am eventually done and put my mast back up, all the mast and deck wiring will be thru separately sealed cable clams, away from balsa core. I bought this shallower draft CD25 over the deeper/nicer CD25D or CD27/28 for use in my area with skinnier waters, and to take it on the road to sail distant waters using the trailer it is sitting on. I will also be using new external chainplates.
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

[/quote]. . . I bought this shallower draft CD25 over the deeper/nicer CD25D or CD27/28 for use in my area with skinnier waters, and to take it on the road to sail distant waters using the trailer it is sitting on. I will also be using new external chainplates.[/quote]

When we had our 27 surveyed the surveyor, a crusty old salt who had surveyed several hundred Cape Dorys, said that the 25 is the best boat that Cape Dory every built, the Typhoon the most popular, and the 27 the prettiest. Don't sell your 25 short, it is a great boat.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

tjr818 wrote:
. . . I bought this shallower draft CD25 over the deeper/nicer CD25D or CD27/28 for use in my area with skinnier waters, and to take it on the road to sail distant waters using the trailer it is sitting on. I will also be using new external chainplates.[/quote]

When we had our 27 surveyed the surveyor, a crusty old salt who had surveyed several hundred Cape Dorys, said that the 25 is the best boat that Cape Dory every built, the Typhoon the most popular, and the 27 the prettiest. Don't sell your 25 short, it is a great boat.[/quote]
----------------
Thanks tjr,
I can understand CD starting out their lineup of larger boats with the old Stadel 24, and making it more their own as a 25, and I consider it a decent and strong boat for those on a tighter budget. However I do not know anyone out here who would consider it to be a better boat in any way than its bigger sisters. That said, it is a better boat than many of the lighter weight lessor quality 24-25 ft tupperware products out there, some of which I have sailed. BTW the 28 is my "almost bought", and the old 30C is still my favorite. In the newer boats, I used to (still do) drool over the 31 and 33.
Best wishes,
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida