CD25D keel width at foot...?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Alan Stewart

CD25D keel width at foot...?

Post by Alan Stewart »

Hello CD25D owners - I'm working on a trailer for a CD25D and would like to know how wide the bottom of the keel is at its widest point in order to fit an aluminum channel to support the keel but I don't have one to measure and it's not in the specs... Would anyone be willing to measure the base/bottom of their CD25Ds keel and let me know if it is more or less than 8" wide at its "fattest" point along the lowest part. (From zero to 2-3" up from the ground or keel block.) I'm hoping that somebody's got their boat in their yard at home and doesn't mind taking this measurement for me...
Many thanks for your help!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: CD25D keel width at foot...?

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Alan:

If I understand what you are asking for I measured the "thickness" of the keel near to the rudder. It is approximately 3 3/4" in thickness. I say "approximate" because there is some aerodynamic curvature or rounding at the bottom of the keel. It is not a 90 degree angle and thus difficult to get a precise measurement.

Since your post references "more or less than 8" wide at its fattest" it may be that I am measuring the wrong part of the keel when I get only 3 3/4".

I will add that in the high quality trailer I purchased last year what I call the "keel channel" is 10" wide (OD) with a section of "rug" then glued into the channel for "comfort". This allows for about 2 1/2" to 3" of a gap on each side of the keel so that when setting the keel into the channel it is not like trying to fit a ladies 6 shoe into a ladies 9 foot. :wink:

I hope this helps a little.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Alan:

To be clear my measurements were taken AT THE BOTTOM of the keel, that is, the area of the keel that would first strike the sea floor on grounding, I am not sure what you meant by "From zero to 2-3" up from the ground or keel block." If you are looking for keel thickness further up the side of the keel, that I cannot measure. I am not sure how anyone could without some elaborate electronic gizmo devices.
Last edited by Sea Hunt Video on Apr 13th, '17, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:...it is not like trying to fit a ladies 6 shoe into a ladies 9 foot. :wink:
Surely you are not suggesting that a certain Fifi has a foot larger than a 6 :?:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Alan:

Please ignore my initial post. It is wrong :!:

I spent some time this morning examining the keel, trailer, "keel channel", etc. I learned something I never saw before. The keel "balloons" out along its length and then tapers back in near the rudder. It gets "fat" and then gets "skinny". I assume there is an aerodynamic reason for this.

Anyways, because my CD 25D is on the trailer I cannot measure the thickness of the "ballon" area. However, the keel channel is 10" wide and there is 3/4" space on each side of the keel at its "fattest" point so I am "guessing" the keel (at the "fat/balloon" area) is about 8 1/2" which is consistent with your post.

I also now understand what you meant by "at its "fattest" point along the lowest part." The keel does get "fat" and then "skinny" near the rudder.

I apologize for my initial post. :( I never before actually looked at the keel from the stern to notice the "ballooning" in the middle. I learned something new today. :!:

Tim: As I have learned several months ago my good friend OJ was playing a high school prank on me. There never was a "Fifi" who was, according to OJ, a college co-ed cheerleader who would be visiting Miami in February for some "sun and fun". Very disappointing and embarrassing. :oops: My only consolation is to remember the adage "paybacks are Hell". :wink: :wink: :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto et al:

A good joke and a chuckle or two would be most appreciative. Believe me.

Hey, you callin my Fifi a prank? Be careful, I know where you live. :?

O J :D :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Oswego John wrote:Roberto et al:

A good joke and a chuckle or two would be most appreciative. Believe me.

Hey, you callin my Fifi a prank? Be careful, I know where you live. :?

O J :D :D
OJ: all I know is Fifi never showed up in Miami. Just sayin.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Thanks Roberto - that's exactly the info I was looking for... a 10" wide piece of aluminum channel has 9" of open area between the two sides, which would be a very smug fit - a 12" wide channel has 11" of inside dimension - enough to allow for painting the sides of the keel with antifouling paint... Thanks very much for your prompt response to my inquiry - I really appreciate your help! Fair winds...