What Winter Project are you Working On?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bob Ohler

What Winter Project are you Working On?

Post by Bob Ohler »

I know there are a lot a Winter / Spring projects going on right now. I can feel it in the air.

I am wrapping up a new cover for the main sail. I just need to sew on the winch cover and attach the twist lock fasteners (aka common sense fasteners) and install a couple of grommets. Sailrite has been great! I cannot say enough good things about their customer service and their sewing machine (model #LSZ-1 with accessories).
The next project is the installation of a new Blue Sea Systems 12 volt distribution panel.

Last night, we sat on the bed planning options for our May cruise on the Chesapeake.

So, what is everyone working this Winter season? For you Florida-based Cape Dorians, that is when it too cold to actually sail.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Carl Thunberg

Re: What Winter Project are you Working On?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

A new galley table. A clumsy friend of mine didn't brace himself when he went down below under way, and fell backwards on top of the galley table and broke it. That, and I'm building new galley and salon cabinets. After 40 years, they were in pretty bad condition.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Buttoned up, but still accessible for winter projects.

I took advantage of some Spring like weather in February, to lay down some 1708 biaxial cloth.

Last edited by hilbert on Mar 16th, '17, 06:49, edited 2 times in total.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bob Ohler wrote:So, what is everyone working this Winter season? For you Florida-based Cape Dorians, that is when it too cold to actually sail.
Hey, I "resemble" that remark :!: :wink:

My primary project is to remove, service and reinstall (or replace if necessary) four (4) Spartan bronze seacocks that have apparently not been serviced in 15-20 years or more. :( My efforts at removing them have proven less than successful to date. :cry: :oops: I also need to install new backing plates. As of now, given my very limited skills I am probably going with teak backing plates that I can more easily sand and shape to the contour of the engine compartment floor.

My secondary project is to install a new Raritan marine head, hoses, etc.

I have been hampered in my efforts by a medical issue and some unseasonable rainy days - much more than normal for winter months in South Florida.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

On the CD? Pulling the gearbox to replace the damper plate. Repainting the nonskid.

On other boats: deck recore, exhaust system overhaul, construction of a holding tank, installation of water tank and other systems. Way more than I can accomplish before spring, it seems.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Bob Ohler wrote:For you Florida-based Cape Dorians, that is when it too cold to actually sail.
??? Geez, it doesn't stay that cold long enough to start & finish any project here... :)
Though I have several projects going on that I work on between sails...
  • 1) Installing a manual windlass to replace the one that died from "repair attempt" by a friend of the PO; got lucky and found a perfect match at a salvage shop in Pensacola;
    2) Removed the propane tanks, stove and other associated wiring & hoses;
    3) Building a removable piece to fill the the hole left from above project to hold my single-burner stainless steel butane stove;
    4) Service the Y-valve that is froze up since repurchasing KAYLA.
    5) Sailing every chance I get!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

My projects include
- Spot stitching the misc canvas - dodger, mainsail and binnacle covers
- Organizing the shipboard tools & supplies
- Repairing the dinghy - new gunwale guards, fiberglass reinforce key areas, varnish, graphite epoxy bottom
- Finally move the AC charger switch & breaker from a DC panel to the AC panel
- Plan new cradle
Paul
CDSOA Member
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

We are in the midst of planing and organizing for the repainting of the topside hull of the Far Reach. We ended up with bubbles all along the waterline (above the bottom paint) after our sail to the West Indies last year. The Awlgrip tech rep looked it over and declared we had applied it properly so they graciously have provided all the paint, converters, thinners, and other supplies free of charge. We are doing all the labor. This time we will roll and tip. I'll write more on this latest projects and also add it to our blog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey John, that's too bad about the Awlgrip failure.

Did they say what they exact cause was? And how was the Awlgrip applied?

We're curious because a topsides paint job may lie in our future.

Best of luck with the repainting.

As for our projects, mostly writing checks to the yard for the new engine install. It's running way over budget, due to decisions to replace the shaft, prop, cutlass bearing, exhaust, two engine mounts,engine wiring, paint the engine room, and the manual bilge pump. Such is life when you pull an engine and take a really hard look at what's going on back there.

Don't forget the Maine Boatbuilders Show later this month, a nice day on the Portland waterfront.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey John, that's too bad about the Awlgrip failure.

Did they say what they exact cause was? And how was the Awlgrip applied?

We're curious because a topsides paint job may lie in our future.

Best of luck with the repainting.

As for our projects, mostly writing checks to the yard for the new engine install. It's running way over budget, due to decisions to replace the shaft, prop, cutlass bearing, exhaust, two engine mounts,engine wiring, paint the engine room, and the manual bilge pump. Such is life when you pull an engine and take a really hard look at what's going on back there.

Don't forget the Maine Boatbuilders Show later this month, a nice day on the Portland waterfront.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

No. they did not know what caused the failure. But I sure appreciated how Awlgrip responded.

I did all the prep work but it was professionally applied (sprayed) by Awlgrip certified painters.

I should probably start a separate post about it and share the whole story. I do plan to document the project on my website just same as all the other rebuild modifications projects.
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

S/V Vindolanda came with a really nice float on/off Triad Trailer, which has a 5th wheel and long extension for launching. I haven't tried launching her at the ramp in town, because I need to stand up the mast, and in my old age, it's a pretty big mast compared to the one on my old PY23. So my big project this year is to become independent at launch time and be able to safely raise the mast. Maybe I can even make it to the Lake Champlain Float-in if I'm successful! I just spoke to Dan Klacko at Klacko Spars in Ontario. He has designed what looks like a great system, that uses a wish bone formed from aluminum tubes connected between the deck and a spinnaker track on the mast that gives lateral stability and a gin pole attached to the mast base that provides leverage when connected to the mast head and a down haul led back through a block at the stem to a winch. There was an article in Good Old Boat about Danny Klacko's system and I think it really looks interesting (and pretty safe). The system does involve fabricating a custom mast step that is hinged and provides an attachment for the gin pole. So I'll need to remove the current mast step, and install the new beefier one. I was wondering if anyone on the board knows what the structure is like in the 25D cabin top under the mast step. Any obvious problems mounting a new step? Thanks for any suggestions
Fair winds
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: new curtains

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I just (yesterday) finished making a new set of curtains for Realization's 8 ports. 16 panels took me about 24 hours over several days.

It's snowing right now, so as you can see (or at least imagine), our winter projects are the type we can do at home. More snow is forecast for Tuesday but hopefully the winter cover will come off the boat soon.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

New project for KAYLA tomorrow: line-splice 3-strand rode to the chain. Got the windlass installed but the rode and chain were 'updated' since I last owned KAYLA and the thimble will never fit through the pipe. She had a very nice splice connection when I bought her the first time and never had an issue with it.

The odd thing is how much sifting through Google links I had to do to finally find an example of how to do this splice. Lots of folks talk about an end splice being better, but I think they are just intimidated about doing the line-splice. IMHO, the line-splice looks great and works very well with the windlass.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sitting in the sun in shorts a t-shirt for bit to do the splice and then go sailing! The weather in "LA" is great this week ("LA" as in lower-Alabama, aka: Red-Neck Riviera, aka: NW Florida)... :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Michael:

What's the website you found for the 3 strand line splice :?:

This thread started by Bob Ohler is a perfect example of "the law of unintended consequences". When I first read Bob's post I thought it was nice idea, perhaps 2-3 people would post a couple projects and that would be it.

I now find myself going through the many posts and projects and saying "oh, yea, I probably need to do that also". Sadly, this has now increased my "to do" list from 1 page to 3-4 pages. I am sure Bob O. had no intention of lengthening my "to do" list. Yet, this is the result. "The law of unintended consequences. Thanks a lot Bob :!: :D :wink: :D :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil