Cape Dory 25 Refitting and Voyage to South Pacific

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

David O

Cape Dory 25 Refitting and Voyage to South Pacific

Post by David O »

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, but not to the Cape Dory 25. During the past year, Pearl and I have extensively refitted Minimus, our 1974 CD 25, for offshore sailing. A few weeks ago we did a shakedown sail from Santa Barbara, CA to San Diego.

Now we're preparing to sail Minimus to the South Pacific. We expect the voyage to take 4-6 weeks. If anyone is interested in reading about our outfitting of Minimus, or would like to follow our progress during the voyage, our blog link is:

voyageofminimus.blogspot.com (Sorry, I'm not sure how to make this a clickable link.)

We have a satellite messenger aboard, so readers can also track our progress and text us while we're at sea. We expect to be sending updates about once a day during the voyage.

We are fully aware that sailing a small boat like the CD25 on a major voyage is not to be taken lightly. Hopefully by the time you read our blog and website (under the "Boat" heading on the blog there's a link to our website detailing our outfitting process), you'll agree that we've given careful consideration to the various aspects of the trip. Also, I (David) have extensive offshore sailing experience, having sailed sailed small boats to Alaska, Central America and Hawaii. The CD25 is actually by far the largest boat I've owned. Pearl's prior experience is that she sailed with me on a delivery across the Gulf of California and has done two long trips to Alaska with me on our sailing kayak. She loves adventure and did great on the shakedown trip from Santa Barbara to San Diego.

For those who join us vicariously, glad to have you aboard!

Cheers,
David Omick and Pearl Mast
Jim Walsh

Re: Cape Dory 25 Refitting and Voyage to South Pacific

Post by Jim Walsh »

Good luck! Your blog is a fascinating read. I haven't finished reading about all your prep work yet but I shall. Please continue to keep us updated when you can.
Last edited by Jim Walsh on Feb 20th, '17, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
David O

Post by David O »

Thanks, David and Jim. The forecast continues to look good for a departure tomorrow, so this will probably be our last post until we reach the Marquesas. As I noted though, we will be posting text updates more or less daily during the voyage. A link to that page is on our blog under "Follow Us".

Cheers,
David
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

David and Pearl,

Just read through the refit of Minimus. Fascinating. Not always the way I would do things, but that's the beauty of being skipper of your own boat. You get to do things your way without the nannies trying to run your life. Having had a CD25 for 20 years before getting my CD28 I have every confidence in the boat's ability to get you there.

Safe travels,
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Fair Winds and Following Seas....God Speed and best of luck on a Speedy Passage.

Pete