CD 25 Port Lights

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve I

CD 25 Port Lights

Post by Steve I »

I'm looking at a CD25 ( no diesel )1976, it does not have the bronze port lights like my old 27 did. Any help ,, it appears that some do and some don't.? Was this an option or a different production year ? I searched the site ( to the best of my ability ) and couldn't find any info. Thanks in advance.
Dasein

Re: CD 25 Port Lights

Post by Dasein »

Hi Steve, I have a 1978 CD 25, and it does not have the bronze port lights either. This article - http://bluewaterboats.org/cape-dory-25/ - states that CD changed out the "fixed port lights to bronze opening ports around 1979". Maybe someone else will verify that.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: CD 25 Port Lights

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Steve I have an 1984 motor sailor that had the plastic portlights. Most later models had the bronze. I'm not sure what the pattern was in terms of when the plastics vs bronze being used. The plastic portsare rectangular rather than the more oval CD bronze ports. Fortunately the plastic ports were of a size commonly used in that era. New Found Metals makes a bronze replacement port that was an exact replacement for the plastic ports that were used in many boats from that era. They are well made and I'm very happy with them. They were installed about 6 years back.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.