Lazy jacks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pete faga

Lazy jacks

Post by pete faga »

I am going to install lazy jacks this winter while the mast is down.
Any suggestions on which brand.
I just send my main to sailcare and noticed they have a system for about 1/2 of harken.
Any comments would be appreciated
Pete
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Re: Lazy jacks

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Pete:
Check out Jiffy Jax. Here's a link:
http://jiffyjax.com/
I had them on my CD28 and now on my C&C 27.
What I like best is you don't have to modify your sail cover.

Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
C&C27 FLYING CIRCUS
Silver Gate YC
San Diego
Martinhilldpo

Post by Martinhilldpo »

I have dutchman flaking which came with the boat and I quite like it. A bit of a pita to set up initially but once that is done it works very well. Its probably best to start that way, probably a bit pricey to retrofit, only really works with a topping lift. Worth a look though if you are spending some cash.

I made my own lazy jacks for my last boat. Easy peasy to make your own, I just researched on the interweb, I wouldnt pay good money for a ready made system. It sure was nice not to need a topping lift, the lazy jacks took the strain.
Carpe Diem!

Martin H. Vancouver Island.
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Also, check out E-Z Jax. Similar to Jiffy Jacks in that storage along mast and boom means no sail cover modification.
these have worked well on Yankee!
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Jim Cornwell wrote:Also, check out E-Z Jax. Similar to Jiffy Jacks in that storage along mast and boom means no sail cover modification.
these have worked well on Yankee!
Our homemade E-Z jax system works great on Slainte, although on occasion one of our full battens will hang up on the system.
Last edited by tjr818 on Dec 17th, '16, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Our homemade E-Z tax system works great on Slainte, ...<<

Exactly what I need: TAX DEDUCTIBLE SAILING!!! Woo hoo!!! Tell me more!!!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Love that auto spell correct :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Originally, I did not plan to install lazy jacks on the Far Reach. But, Gayle insisted she wanted them. She was right. They have been a wonderful addition. I would not sail without them now. I gave a lot of thought about which of the many designs I would use. Ultimately, I went with a design as described by John Harries on Affordable Adventure Cruising.

It's a somewhat unsual design as the upper end (pendant) is permanently attached to the mast. The running end connects to the end of the boom moving forward and snaking up to the blocks on the pendants and down to the boom and up and down again, creating four legs per side. Ultimately, the running end terminates at the forward end of the boom. Installed in this manner, the long tail is coiled and secured on the forward end of the boom and thus does not compete for space on the mast with halyards and their coiled tails.

The disadvantage is is does require the sail cover to be modified and that alone is the big expense.

However, the system has worked extremely well. I've had no need to pull them forward. I have had zero chafe. I have seen systems with two legs but they don't seem to nest the sail all that well. When I let go the main halyard (We have a Tides Marine Strong Track) the sail drops like a cannon ball and is completely contained by the lazy jacks. There is no rush to put a sail tie on the main which makes singlehanding much easier as I can focus on more important tasks.

I used easy to splice 3/16 dyneema for the pendants (which is slippery and reduces chafe) and 1/4" double braid for the running legs. The set up, as I built it, requires (4) small harken bullet blocks spliced to the lower ends of the pendants, (4) small harken cheek blocks for the boom, (4) small SS strap pad eyes--two on the mast and two on the outer end of the boom, and two small aluminum cleats on the forward end of the boom.

With a battenless main you could haul the main up and down regardless the point of sail and never worry about the sail getting jammed under the lazy jacks. We had our sailmaker build our main with a soft head to make it less likely it will catch on the lazy jacks, though we do have full battens. Nonetheless, I can manage it pretty well. It takes good timing and the bow needs to be generally pointed into the wind but there is some wiggle room. So far, so good.

If this set up appeals to you I would be sure to read John Harris post on AAC for the details and a more complete description of the advantages of this design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Stone on Jan 8th, '17, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

John Stone wrote: . . . When I let go the main halyard (along with the strong track) the sail drops like a cannon ball and is completely contained by the lazy jacks. . . .
Be careful of doing that. I did not notice this during the season, but this fall when we take the sails off of Slainte before putting on her winter cover we had a hard time getting the StrongTrack gate off, it seems that the mainsail dropping like a canon ball after every sail slowly drove the track down until it jammed against the gooseneck. We had tightened the screws at the bottom of the track, but that wasn't enough for all of those "cannon balls".

If you remember my story of installing the StrongTrack you might remember how tight it was in the mast groove. We had to winch the track up the last four feet and it took everything we had to get that done. Now we will have to winch it back up in the spring, fortunately it only has to go up two inches.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Thanks for all the suggestions much appreciated
Pete
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Tim
I drilled through the base of the strong track and through the mast tapping into the mast itself. It can't move--or can it? You make a good point as it could impose a big load on the fastener. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Thanks John,
I will do that too, once we get the StrongTrack back into place.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

This may or may bot be helpful. On my 25D I removed the lazy jacks because the battens would occasionally hang up on them and frankly there is just not that much sail to control - one well placed ties will control the canvas when I drop it on a temporary basis. The key to boom support is to run the topping lift to a small cleat on the stern rail held in place with q hose clamp. Thus with a cabin top main halyard winch and cleat and the topping lift led aft - I can control everything from the cockpit.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
FL Dan

Post by FL Dan »

I live in South FL and had Mack Sails in Stuart FL install mine. They may be able to make you up a set to install on your own. They are great. They also installed their Mack Pack sail cover integrated with the lazy jacks. It is awesome.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

These posts are interesting. On our 31, we have two problems with our 2-legged lazy jacks:

1. the battens sometimes snag on the jacks, unless we are dead to windward when we lower, and

2. we have to go forward to tighten the topping lift, as the cleat to stop it is about midway on the boom.

I suspect a solution to #2 would be to run the topping lift tail back to the aft end of the boom and install a cleat near the end to secure/adjust it.

#2 is a bit more complicated. We like the jacks most days, but would like them to not hang up the sail battens when we lower. Would making the jacks 4-legged solve this problem?

Maybe there is an obvious solution, but I'm well into a glass of wine after a long and windy/chilly walk here in Nova Scotia and the old bean may be a bit foggier than normal.

And, of course, looking forward to seeing many of you at the luncheon in February.

Cheers!

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats