Water tank vent

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dasein

Water tank vent

Post by Dasein »

On the port side of my CD25 there is a small, dime sized vent (see photo) that I presume to be the vent for the water tank beneath the v-berth. The vent doesn't look stock, or if it is it's missing the aesthetic attachment. Does anyone know the correct part(s) for the job? Thanks.
watertank_vent.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
Jim Walsh

Re: Water tank vent

Post by Jim Walsh »

Vent lines usually run up to the sheerline so they won't empty your tank when heeled on either tack. It's hard to ascertain from the photo but it looks like it is below the level of the v-berth cushions. I'd trace it back to its origin to ensure its a water tank vent.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
camroll

Post by camroll »

I have one in a similar spot that is the vent for my holding tank.

Russ
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

Thanks Jim and Russ. That it's the vent for the holding tank makes more sense. I'll trace it back to confirm. I'll look for one of the 90 degree thru-hulls rather than a straight one, so as to not empty the tank when heeled.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

I think most Cape Dorys used Spartan tank vents ...

http://www.robinhoodmarinecenter.com/deck-fills/

here is a screen shot of of the online Spartan catalog - vents showing at the bottom of the page
Deck Fills and Vents.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

Thanks Fred, I'll take a look. Happy Thanksgiving.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Now might be a good time to enlarge the holding tank vent line. The 1/2" vent that Cape Dory used is easily clogged and not very effective. I went to a 3/4" vent on Raven. I used a barbed through hull fitting in the tank then new hose and a 3/4" Spartan vent. In your situation you are already going to be buying a vent fitting. Now would be time to replace the hose so you only need to come up with a through hull fitting, and possibly an elbow, in a larger size. The plastic ones CD used in the tank are pretty sad at this point anyway.

More air is always better in your holding tank, Steve.