Typhoon genoa cost

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pjust

Typhoon genoa cost

Post by pjust »

Argh! The 135% genny on my Typhoon was set up incorrectly for a couple of seasons so that it furled the wrong way, leaving the sunshield on the inside. The resulting UV damage has pretty well fried the sail, which is tearing vertically along the leech. I had it repaired back in July, but when I took the sail in for cleaning and inspection, my local sailmaker--who seems like a really decent guy--has told me it's tearing again. He's willing to repair it again for less than $50, but he says its just going to tear again. He's asking $875 for a new sail but is willing to soften the blow by forgiving the cost of cleaning and checking. Does that seem like a reasonable price?
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Steve Laume

Re: Typhoon genoa cost

Post by Steve Laume »

You could search online for some instant quotes to get an idea of the low end of sail pricing. I don't know enough to say weather the on line sails are as good as what you could have made locally but I doubt they are. The greatest value, to me, would be having someone you seem to trust that you can talk to about all the sails on your boat and will work with you to provide the best sail for your particular needs. One of the great things about sailing a Typhoon is that the sails are pretty reasonably priced compared to larger boats. I am sure you will love your new sail, Steve.
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

My sail rite kit was 340 last winter. It is a great sail!
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I too sewed up a Sailrite kit headsail for my Typhoon years ago and have nothing but high recommendations. The home Necchi machine I have was a little slim for the job but did it handily. The sails, I sewed up a main too, both are still going strong 15 years on under my friend's ownership. A great winter's project if you want to consider it.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

$875 seems right for a Ty foresail. A 125 Genny for a 30' is $2k at my local sailmaker, and $1700 for an online offshore maker.

Can the old one be cut down to a spare blade jib? Look at the ATN storm sails and see if you can repurpose the good inner section.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Sail Warehouse has a 145 Furling genoa New for $400.

http://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/web ... l&cart_id=
Steven_Shore

Post by Steven_Shore »

A year ago, Doyle Sails on City Island in NYC made me a 140 with a sun cover and trim guides for $520. They charged $47 for the trim guide, so without that's $473.
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

You might want to check out Precision Sails in Vancouver, BC. They are having a 25% off sale following Thanksgiving for a few days - they offer at least four different grades of material and styles for cruising, recreation, and racing. CDI furler as also 25% off during the sale - talk to Ron and tell him Alan recommended them to you.
pjust

Post by pjust »

Alan Stewart wrote:You might want to check out Precision Sails in Vancouver, BC. They are having a 25% off sale following Thanksgiving for a few days - they offer at least four different grades of material and styles for cruising, recreation, and racing. CDI furler as also 25% off during the sale - talk to Ron and tell him Alan recommended them to you.
I took a look at their website and got a very prompt reply on a quote for a 135% genoa for the Ty. They seem really professional. Have you used any of their sails?
Peter Just
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

I've ordered a mainsail and roller-fueling 135% genoa from Precision. Have always dealt with Ron, who is a terrific person to do business with, very conscientious and thorough. Expect my new sails and CDI furler to be a real plus to next seasons sailing!
pjust

Post by pjust »

Thanks to everyone for the advice. In the event, I decided to go with a local sailmaker. The DIY option isn't for me and Internet reviews of Precision were all over the place. Although I'm paying a good deal more for the sail from my local guy, he has an excellent reputation hereabouts and I know I'll be getting a quality product he'll stand by. I also take some satisfaction in "buying local," and providing work for some of my neighbors.
Peter Just