How to build a boom crutch for my ty

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

NineIron

How to build a boom crutch for my ty

Post by NineIron »

I'd like to build a more useful boom crutch. Any thoughts? Pictures?
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: How to build a boom crutch for my ty

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I am courious as to why. Trying to think back to what kind of boats I have seen them on in the past. Aren't they typically used on boats with large heavy boom, often wood rather than an aluminum boom?
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
NineIron

Post by NineIron »

I'm talking about something to hold the mast and boom for transport and winter storage
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

i just have an X made out of 1/2 pine that sits between the base of the tiller and the end of the cockpit (bulkhead) for support at the stern end (actually the top of the mast) and i have a 2x4 with a U shape cut in one end and the other end nailed to a 2x10 base to support the bow end (actually the base of the tiller). i have a piece of indoor/outdoor rug tacked to the bottom of the 2x10 to avoid scratching the deck. this supports the mast in transport as well as supporting the mast with a canvas winter cover draped over it.
NineIron

Post by NineIron »

Thanx.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Here's another option. (Sorry about the terrible photo, but this is the best I have on hand.) It's made out of plywood. The trapezoidal base has a cutout to fit around the rudder post so that it can slide to the very aft end of the cockpit (it can be shoved back farther than it is in the photo). The bottom has some old carpet on it to protect the cockpit sole. The upright plywood piece has a cutout that the tiller slips into and then a cradle at the top for the mast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NineIron

Post by NineIron »

Great idea. Thanx.