CD 27 Standing Rigging

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gates_cliff

CD 27 Standing Rigging

Post by gates_cliff »

To my knowledge the standing rigging on my boat is original. I've been advised to consider replacing it. Can anyone weigh in on the lifespan of the rigging and/or have a ballpark figure of the cost?

Thanks
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
bgephart

Re: CD 27 Standing Rigging

Post by bgephart »

As for life, no one will say more than 10 -12 years, but a lot depends on how the boat has been sailed. I have owned my 1979 CD25 since 1984 and it was just this year that I replaced all the standing rigging. My boat has been in the water almost continuously since I bought her - no winter haul outs in Savannah - but I sail her only monthly. I was very happy with service from Rigging Only - cost was less than $700 for everything including turnbuckles and end fittings - may be a little more for your 27.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Thanks. I was told the same thing about the life span, so a little worried.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

I had what they call "candy cane" striping where a helical pattern appears on the rigging and indicates oxidation of the core of the wire ... have had my 27 for three years, and lived with the rigging that way for two years, but this year just decided to replace it ... never had any indication at all that the rigging was weak, but typically don't sail in heavy extended weather either, but I did get caught out in a very heavy squall in my first year with the old wire, and survived that, oh and also grounded and was pulled off by Sea Tow via the "give me your main halyard" method which is a dramatic test of your rigging ...

Anyway, figuring I'm in for a long term relationship, I had both the standing and running rigging replaced this year ... I'm lucky enough to afford it, and I just figured I'd do it for the peace of mind.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay