New member with a few Typhoon questions.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bigmark

New member with a few Typhoon questions.

Post by bigmark »

Just purchased a Typhoon, in good shape but in going over the mast fittings I noticed that the holes at the base of the mast for the tabernacle pin are 7/16" and the pin I have is 3/8". The pin fits the tabernacle fine and the mast holes did not appear to be egged out. Is this correct?

Any tips on a good vang setup? Part numbers of good quality blocks and sizes would help alot! What does Rig-rite have in their package?

Thanks,
Mark
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: New member with a few Typhoon questions.

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

bigmark wrote:Just purchased a Typhoon, in good shape but in going over the mast fittings I noticed that the holes at the base of the mast for the tabernacle pin are 7/16" and the pin I have is 3/8". The pin fits the tabernacle fine and the mast holes did not appear to be egged out. Is this correct?

Any tips on a good vang setup? Part numbers of good quality blocks and sizes would help alot! What does Rig-rite have in their package?

Thanks,
Mark

I just put a "new" 1978 Typhoon in the water this spring. For now I trying to keep it simple as possible, no roller furling, no vang, no traveler to see how she handles with just the basics. Haven't felt the need for a vang so far but have noticed that a traveler could be helpful by just manually pushing the boom over a little when close hauled. So far have not needed to use a winch handle which is nice. There is a big genoa in the sail inventory that I have not tried yet. Maybe the winch handle will be needed for that. Cant help with the tabernacle pins.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Agree in principle with Joe that perhaps starting with your current setup and sailing that for a while may be more informative than throwing chances at a rig before sailing the boat.

These mast steps seem all to be rather different and may involve coping with your setup as best you can.

With my Ty I never seemed to need much more than wind to make her happy. And yes, I miss her! Hope Brad is taking good care of her!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

bigmark wrote: Any tips on a good vang setup? Part numbers of good quality blocks and sizes would help
Yes, a vang is very helpful on a Typhoon. I set mine up with Harken bullet blocks and enough line to also help with raising and lowering the mast single-handed.
I also recommend getting reef points put in the main if not already there. The roller reefing boom is a RPITA in my not so humble opinion...
As other have mentioned, they are great boats and fun to sail. When I cannot handle KAYLA any longer, I'll probably go searching for another Typhoon!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

definitely want a vang for downwind sailing especially. traveler is definitely an option depending upon your desire for fussing with sail shape. so far (25 years) i have passed on it. the 135 to 150 genoa is great in light air and a winch handle is even optional with it. i have yet to use my handle with the genoa flying. i also have an asymmetrical cruising spinnaker setup when i am not too lazy to fly it.
jtjc53

Post by jtjc53 »

Our 1974 Weekender had a vang installed when we took ownership two years ago. However, it is less effective than we would like. It's a conventional 4-1 arrangement with a small fiddle block and cam at the boom end for making adjustments. Running from the underside of the book, perhaps three feet or so aft of the gooseneck to a tang mounted on the mast just above (and too close) to a small mast slot mounted horn cleat we use for the downhaul, it appears to be at too shallow an angle to provide much downward pull on the boom. Is there a better way to rig this vang? I'd like to lower the position of the tang on the mast, but I'm not sure there's enough room.