Wanting to buy a Cape Dory 25!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Will J

Wanting to buy a Cape Dory 25!

Post by Will J »

Hi sailors!
My name is Will and I'm wanting to buy a 1974 CD25 that's in Milwaukee WI on Lake Michigan. I currently sail a Rhodes 19 but would love a CD25 so I can spend the weekend on, or overnights. I've always loved it's classic good looks. Can you please share what I need to check into/inspect/look at with a fine tooth comb because it's an older boat? I know it's the original inboard engine. I'm told it runs but I'm not sure well. That will need to be replaced, I'm sure. Does anything leak? Bilge, portholes? I'd like to sleep aboard on rainy nights or play cards with friends on wet, rainy days and need to be dry! But as far as the boat being a good solid boat, what can I look for/look at? I can't afford big, expensive maintenance right now. Cosmetic work I can...wood cleaning, a good scrubbing, maybe new cushions. I don't want to buy the boat and find out it needs immediate high priced repairs. Any help you can offer would be great. I'll be looking at the boat this weekend. Please reply in here or to my personal email address if you'd be so kind. It's williamj694@gmail.com -Thank you all very, very much. Will in Chicago.
pete faga

Re: Wanting to buy a Cape Dory 25!

Post by pete faga »

Hi Will
I would start with the rudder and shoe to see if there is delamanation then tap the decks to see if there are any soft spots.
What updates has the owner made(seacocks wiring standing rigging etc
If you could post pictures that would be helpful
If you are going forward with the sale I would spend $ on a surveyor that maybe someone on the board will suggest
Good luck
Pete
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Will,
Did you mean it has the "original outboard engine in the well" instead of inboard?
The CD25 never had inboard engines and the CD25D wasn't launched until 1981.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Will:
Maine Sail, a frequent contributor to this site, has posted a very useful boat buying checklist on this board.
Here's the link:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... t=moisture

Good Luck,

Tony Jeske
C&C 27 FLYING CIRCUS
Silver Gate YC
San Diego
Will J

Post by Will J »

pete faga wrote:Hi Will
I would start with the rudder and shoe to see if there is delamanation then tap the decks to see if there are any soft spots.
What updates has the owner made(seacocks wiring standing rigging etc
If you could post pictures that would be helpful
If you are going forward with the sale I would spend $ on a surveyor that maybe someone on the board will suggest
Good luck
Pete
Thanks Pete!!
I'll try to post some photos. What do you mean by "shoe?" Two long time sailor friends are going with me to survey/look at the boat. We will have a moisture reader with us.
Will J

Post by Will J »

mgphl52 wrote:Hi Will,
Did you mean it has the "original outboard engine in the well" instead of inboard?
The CD25 never had inboard engines and the CD25D wasn't launched until 1981.
Hello!
Yes, I meant outboard. It rests in the lazerette. I just thought it was an inboard because it is an outboard engine inside the lazerette. But you are correct. Thanks!
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Will J wrote:
Hello!
Yes, I meant outboard. It rests in the lazerette. I just thought it was an inboard because it is an outboard engine inside the lazerette. But you are correct. Thanks!
In that case, just note that many folks over-powered their CD25s - both of the ones I have owned came with 9.9 hp when I bought them... I replaced it on my last CD25 with a 4 stroke 6hp that was very easy to get in and out of the well. Depending on your location, tides, currents, etc. a 4 hp may work fine.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Will J

Post by Will J »

Anthony P. Jeske wrote:Hi Will:
Maine Sail, a frequent contributor to this site, has posted a very useful boat buying checklist on this board.
Here's the link:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... t=moisture

Good Luck,

Tony Jeske
C&C 27 FLYING CIRCUS
Silver Gate YC
San Diego

Hi Tony!
Great information! I thank you kindly!
Will J

Post by Will J »

mgphl52 wrote:
Will J wrote:
Hello!
In that case, just note that many folks over-powered their CD25s - both of the ones I have owned came with 9.9 hp when I bought them... I replaced it on my last CD25 with a 4 stroke 6hp that was very easy to get in and out of the well. Depending on your location, tides, currents, etc. a 4 hp may work fine.
I see. I'm not surprised some have added to much "Oomph!" Lol! No tides or currents of any kind here on Lake Michigan. It's a huge fresh water ocean. We are very lucky. Leaving the harbor there may be a slight current but nothing so strong that it requires a lot of power. Thank you again!!
Will J

Post by Will J »

Ahoy sailors,

To all those that have replied to my posting, THANK YOU!! I tried to thank each of you individually in here but I'm not very good at figuring that out, so I hope all of you see this? I'll keep you all updated as to what happens. Very soon I hope to be a part of the Cape Dory 25 Family. I'm on Lake Michigan and only have seen one other CD25 here in Chicago. If you are in Chicago or Milwaukee where the boat is, drop me a line and we can talk boat!! Thanks! My email is williamj694@gmail.com Again, thank you all! -Will, in Chicago.