Off-the-shelf exhaust riser for CD 31?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jen1722terry

Off-the-shelf exhaust riser for CD 31?

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey sailors!

Hope you're all looking forward to fine September sailing. We're still here in Northeast Harbor with our engine on the cabin sole. It makes an interesting coffee table.

As some of you know, ZF offered to replace our newish transmission free of charge under warranty. When they pulled off the bell housing, we noticed considerable wear to the springs on the damper plate, so we got Hanson Marine to overnight one and we should have everything installed by Friday.

While the mechanic was doing the warranty work, we asked him to report anything else that was suspect. He noticed that the seawater injection bars on the steel exhaust had lost some length due to rust. He though it was a candidate for winter replacement.

So, if anyone knows of an off-the-shelf replacement for our engine (Universal M25 5241, 1984), please share the source with us. Otherwise, we'll pull off the old one after haul-out and take it to a welding shop to have a copy made.

All else well here in the snug, pretty harbor. Lots to do on the island.

Happy sailing

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
adamganz

Re: Off-the-shelf exhaust riser for CD 31?

Post by adamganz »

Hi guys - no info for you re your engine but thought I'd pass along that my wife and I were just in NEH and her family has been going there for generations. If you can get to ilsford dock restaurant on little cranberry for lunch or dinner, it's a great spot. It's changing ownership after this season. Adam
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Jenn et al:

No complete M25 exhaust available off the shelf. I did mine up last year with an off-the-shelf mixer elbow from Catalina Direct, and the rest I made up with schedule 40 galvanized, Schedule 80 would be better, but not easily obtained. Let me know if you want the dimensions.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I don't know if this is helpful or not. Catalina used the M-25 engines extensively in their product line. As such they have numerous replacement parts available, including exhaust risers and flanges. If these images look close you may be able to get a stainless replacement at a very competitive price. There are others in their website. They can also fabricate one if the old riser is sent to them, according to a notation on their website.
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm ... system.cfm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

As always, our thanks go out to Skip and Jim for the leads to a new riser. The stainless replacement seems like to most worry free, but if we can fine find the galvanized parts, w may go that route, as the current riser has lasted at least 10 years and is, or was, galvanized.

The mechanic is due back tomorrow to finish up the reinstall (assuming the new damper plate arrives by overnight from Hanson Marine). We'll discuss the riser options with him for a replacement after haul out.

Again, best wishes to all as that storm rolls up the coast. As the cormorants got us pretty good one day last week, a good rinsing would be welcome.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

When I redid KAYLA's muffler/exhaust (link) I was told not to use galvinized pipe in the exhaust, instead we used black-iron.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Thanks so much. I'll look into this, as I assume the local plumbing supply has both (black iron is used for gas pipe and steam fittings, yes?)

Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"