How to start a rendezvous 2017?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mv-typhoon

How to start a rendezvous 2017?

Post by Mv-typhoon »

Hello all I'm new to the form and a new typhoon weekender owner. Would like to find out what it might take to make a rendezvous happen for next year. I would like to try and organize a northeast typhoon weekend at my home harbor of Edgartown, Martha's vineyard. I know these things take time to organize but feel like it would turn out great. I worked at the harbor master department in Edgartown for ten years and know all of the current staff. Moorings can be booked online and rafting is allowed. Free showers, bathrooms and trash bins are available along with launch service till 1am! The sailing around the island are beautiful and perfect for typhoons with katama bay for sailing in high winds. Let me know what everyone thinks and or criteria and let's go Edgartown 2017!
Jim Walsh

Re: How to start a rendezvous 2017?

Post by Jim Walsh »

Excellent idea! We have plenty of time to work out the details and generate enthusiasm. I'll PM you and we can discuss further. Thank you for initiating what sounds like a great rendezvous idea.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
casampson

Post by casampson »

I would love to go, but I'm not sure how I would get my boat over to Martha's Vineyard. I'm not sure how far it is from Marion, MA to the Vineyard, but I do know it is too far for me to sail in my little TY...

Perhaps there are other intrepid sailors who would be willing to sail across, but I'd rather have the meet on the mainland.
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

casampson wrote:I would love to go, but I'm not sure how I would get my boat over to Martha's Vineyard. I'm not sure how far it is from Marion, MA to the Vineyard, but I do know it is too far for me to sail in my little TY...

Perhaps there are other intrepid sailors who would be willing to sail across, but I'd rather have the meet on the mainland.
It seems that the writer makes a valid point. The Vineyard (and in particular Edgartown) is (are) a delightful spot(s), but for many the passage either through Woods Hole or up the Vineyard Sound requires a certain "dedicated effort." I know this from both having made the passage several times, and from having failed to make the passage several times.

I hope this works out for interested parties.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I'm guessing that a large percentage of the Typhoon owners have trailers. There are three launching ramps in the area of Falmouth on Cape Cod which is adjacent to the Vinyard. Where there's a will there's a way.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

Jim Walsh wrote:I'm guessing that a large percentage of the Typhoon owners have trailers. There are three launching ramps in the area of Falmouth on Cape Cod which is adjacent to the Vinyard. Where there's a will there's a way.
I will await the tally of Typhoon owners who make this noteworthy passage to Edgartown, however that is accomplished. No doubt that Edgartown is a fine port worthy of a visit. Best regards all.