CD 36 Shifter cable

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jeff Peterson
Jubilee
Galesville, Md.

CD 36 Shifter cable

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Has anyone replaced the shift cable on a CD 36 and have guidance as to the best source or type of cable...(manual says 8 foot 3300 cc...from Northwest Controls but Edson also sells the cables...)? Also, ideas on how long it should take the yard to do the job...ie what is reasonable...? Cable is not broken but yard says it is too week to shift stiff rebuilt transmission... Yard wants to do throttle cable at the same time which seems to make sense as the cable cost not that much....

Thanks for any input.
Maine_Buzzard

Re: CD 36 Shifter cable

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

The yard will pull the old ones and confirm length and exact type as needed. The only wrassling is in the pedestal. Pull the compass and find a trained marmoset to reach in and unhook things. Expect $100 in parts for cables and ends, and four hours of labor. (another case of labour exceeding capital) They'll likely clean and lube the shift/throttle levers.

No preferred make for cables, I have done a few (Morse Red and Teleflex midgrade) recently and not been around long enough to give 10 year history. Some of the 3300CC base grade cables simply are not available in 8' lengths. Given the cost difference between standard and premium is all of $10, go with the TFXTREME. CCX63308 is $34 at Jamestown Dist.

https://www.pyacht.com/Morse-Cable-Selection.pdf

Interesting that they describe them as too weak. Short of upsizing to a different cable (which would not fit in the shifter mechanism), A new cable will not be significantly stronger, but will give less slop in the play, and less friction compared to the old. Are they hoping that the trans softens up before the new cable becomes old? I have to believe that they did not grab the wrong hole in the trans shifter lever, which could increase your felt shift effort. (using a hole closer to the shift shaft than before.)

Was the pre-rebuilt transmission easy to shift?
Jeff Peterson
Jubilee
Galesville, Md.

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Thanks for the info....yes, old transmission was easy to shift and I can move the arm on the rebuild ok by hand but it is pretty firm...good to know about larger cable not fitting lever
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Out of curiosity, how much did the rebuild run? I just replaced Ariel's Hurth HBW 10 2 R this summer with a ZF Marine 12M after the old Hurth lost forward gear. New trans from Trans Atlantic Diesel, Inc. was around $1700. I'm still planning on rebuilding the Hurth and keeping it around as a spare. Sounds like a rebuild kit is between 350 and 450, depending upon exactly which model HBW I have.

http://ariel-cd36.org/wordpress/?p=1245

David
Jeff Peterson
Jubilee
Galesville, Md.

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Costs sound a bit low on a rebuild depending on how extensive...if I were doing it over again I would have gone with a new unit...
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I had my Hurth HBW150-2R rebuilt after 20 years....just because. I wanted to refresh the clutch plates. I had it done through the marina and they charged me an arm and a leg. Last fall I hauled the perkins 4.108 out for a rebuild. I figured that I would have the transmission plates replaced while it was out. The transmission has seen two trips to Cape Breton and two trips to Maine from the chesapeake. It was working well. This time I went to a local transmission shop. I think they charged roughly $200 in labor. The clutch plates could not be purchased separately, so the big rebuild kit had to be purchased. That cost me close to $700.

When I get the boat back in the water we will see how well it works.