Replacing Double Sink Galley Faucet

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Replacing Double Sink Galley Faucet

Post by wsonntag »

Not wanting to hijack the prior shower faucet post, I would like to know if anyone has had experience replacing the galley sink faucet on a double sink, CD 31? Seems that it might be necessary to lift the entire sink out of the galley to actually get at the fixture from below. Again, please anyone had experience with this? Thank you in advance.
bottomscraper

Re: Replacing Double Sink Galley Faucet

Post by bottomscraper »

We replaced the faucet on our CD36 with a double sink. I did not remove the sink. I was not an easy job but almost no plumbing jobs are easy on a boat. We used a single hole faucet that if I remember correctly came from either Lowes or Home Depot. Getting the old one out was the hard part because of corroded fasteners, the new one was easy to install.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

Thanks for the reply. The tough part is removal, there is very little clearance between the two sinks and the bulkhead, partition (I guess that's what I'd call it). Anyway, what kind of tool or wrench did you use to get up behind there? A normal wrench (spanner) will not fit, a socket of some sort seems to be in order?

Thanks again,

Bill Sonntag
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

I find a basin wrench handy for these places. They do take a bit of practice especially if your vision is limited and you are using a mirror.

You might also consider not having minor children in the area while you communicate with the nut..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basin_wrench
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Jim Davis wrote: You might also consider not having minor children in the area...
Great advice for many boat projects! :!: :roll: :!: :roll: :!:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

Jim Davis wrote:
You might also consider not having minor children in the area while you communicate with the nut..
That would not be so funny if it was not the absolute truth. Some might say that is where the term cussing like a sailor originated from, and it makes complete sense to me.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

wsonntag wrote:Thanks for the reply. The tough part is removal, there is very little clearance between the two sinks and the bulkhead, partition (I guess that's what I'd call it). Anyway, what kind of tool or wrench did you use to get up behind there? A normal wrench (spanner) will not fit, a socket of some sort seems to be in order?

Thanks again,

Bill Sonntag
It's been a few years so my memory is a bit fuzzy but IIRC I used a deep 6 point socket and a long extension. I was alone so no children learned any new words.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jim Evans

Post by Jim Evans »

I replaced the galley faucet in our double sink a few years ago with a Delta 101, which is readily available, and it fits well. I ran into the same problem as you, and I just removed the sink. I'm glad I did, because there just isn't much room back there, and you certainly don't want the faucet coming loose on you. I just used adhesive sealant to reattach the sink, and weighed it down for a day or so while the sealant cured.
Jim Evans