I need a new mainsail cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

I need a new mainsail cover

Post by Gary M »

Hi to all,

Have you used Sailboat Owners.com to build a mainsail cover for you?

How about Diego's Custom Marine?

Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks, Gary
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: I need a new mainsail cover

Post by mashenden »

Might take a look at Sailrite's website. I use them for material etc, but they sell things already made as well. I have always been happy with their service.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
RC James

Post by RC James »

I used Sailboat-Owners last summer to replace a totally worn custom measured mainsail cover (12 years of continuous exposure).

-Price is good.
-Turnaround time is quick.
-The material is Sunbrella.
-Twist metal release toggles were extra (helps to keep mudwasps out), delrin buckles are standard.

Not a necessarily tight fitting cover, but if you measure carefully, they follow instructions well. Just don't expect Custom work.
-no chafing coverage near mast winches, no doubled material at end of boom,
-good mast coverage at front of mast (full length zipper and also full length Velcro) NOTE- zipper is NOT a YYK brand but a lesser, though adequate substitute.
-end of boom has full-wrap Velcro for weather-tight fit, and nylon cord for attaching to topping-lift/backstay.
-lightweight nylon line for cinching cover at the head of sail and end of the boom.

Again, a fair price for a working sailcover. and would seriously think of using them again.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

Thanks RC for taking the time to post such a thorough review.

It is appreciated.

Gary