Whisker pole for cd31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Davis

Whisker pole for cd31

Post by Mike Davis »

I would like to have a whisker pole for my cd31. Not sure how long it should be. Does anyone know the length of the pole? Thanks.
Mike Davis
David Morton

Re: Whisker pole for cd31

Post by David Morton »

I use a Forespar model 407101 whisker pole that telescopes to 15 feet for my CD31. I bought it at Defender:
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... &id=684881
It works well with my 125 Genoa. You may need to go longer if your J length is greater with a bigger headsail.

Be sure to lube the telescoping section to keep it moving smoothly. And be sure to slide it in and out a few times each week if you don't use it regularly, especially if you store it on deck exposed to salt air and water.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have a Forespar line control whisker pole. I believe it extends from 10 to 18 feet max. The line control feature allows you to attach it at the mast and sheet, then you pull the line to extend it as far as needed. Works fine. Here's a picture which shows how I store it when not in use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I'm glad Jim mentioned the line control pole. Although it is substantially heavier ( and probably more robust) the ability to extend the telescoping section from the inboard end of the pole greatly simplifies its deployment. If I wasn't so friggin' cheap I probably would have bought that one! http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... &id=103979
Is he still wrong?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

David Morton wrote:I'm glad Jim mentioned the line control pole. Although it is substantially heavier ( and probably more robust) the ability to extend the telescoping section from the inboard end of the pole greatly simplifies its deployment. If I wasn't so friggin' cheap I probably would have bought that one! http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... &id=103979
Dave,
You are no more of a cheapskate than I am :D . This pole was bought by the previous owner two years before I bought ORION. I'd probably be using a hickory sapling if the dough was coming out of my pocket :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Some say we only live to regret our frugality. My wife says that often. Her shopping modus operandi is "show me the most expensive one you've got, and charge me double". While I can't always keep up with that, I do hope to die broke! Alas, timing is the key!

David
Is he still wrong?
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

David Morton wrote: . . . I do hope to die broke! Alas, timing is the key!
David
David:

My plan is to pass on after mailing my last check to Florida Power & Light (our local power company) and the check bounces for insufficient funds. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

"I do hope to die broke!"

I had an incorrigible Italian Uncle Joe. (How incorigable? He used to play cards with Buddy Ciancy down at the Italian American Club!)

His advice was " die owing money ", " that way you'll be remembered - as in: 'I remember that SOB, he owed me 500 bucks" "

That's a pretty boat Jim.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

The only comment I can add is that fastening the whisker pole further forward may be a bit more handy. The Forespar whisker pole is rather impressive on reaches, and works surprisingly well with a symmetrical spinnaker as well, with a downhaul.

No one, I repeat no one, has a CD31 more impressive than Jim's . I am sooooooo envious!!
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

JWSutcliffe wrote:The only comment I can add is that fastening the whisker pole further forward may be a bit more handy. The Forespar whisker pole is rather impressive on reaches, and works surprisingly well with a symmetrical spinnaker as well, with a downhaul.

No one, I repeat no one, has a CD31 more impressive than Jim's . I am sooooooo envious!!
ORION has one obvious flaw.....me! :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Keith

Post by Keith »

On my CD30 the forester wiskerpole is 7'-17', there are three section. I have two question for the gallery.

1. the larger section does not lock tight when twisted like the smaller one does. I tried cleaning the rubble donut on the end but it doesn't seem to help. The larger one also comes completely apart while the smaller one does not. Does anyone else have this problem? and know how to fix it?

2. On the outer end it has the hook and small plastic roller but I really don't know how to use the roller. I drop it over the jib sheet and it works sometimes but has the tendency to slide back down the sheet and fall off the sheet. I can't find any videos for this type of end. I do notice on the videos for the other types they use a topping lift which I do not use. Looking for input.
IMG_1370.JPG
Thanks in advance,

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Try Forespar's website http://www.forespar.com/whisker-poles.shtml or contact their technical support for assistance. They have introduced and dropped products over the years. I'll bet they have a rebuild kit for most of their old product.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks Jim I've been all over that site but can't seem to find my type of end fitting. I'll give them a call.

Thanks,

keith
Keith

Post by Keith »

Mystery solved! The fitting shown in the picture above is called a Reaching Strut end fitting and you guessed it you used in conjunction with a spinnaker pole when REACHING with at symmetrical spinnaker. It mounts to the side of the mast and goes out between the shrouds to keep the after-guy away from the shrouds. It is only needed when reaching because when running down wind the angle of the after-guy keeps it off the shrouds. Now why the PO had it on the boat with out a spinnaker pole is another mystery.

From reading several articles some people have used them as wisker poles so now I have to decide if I should b
jury rig it of break down and buy another end to make it a true wisker pole.

Keith
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Keith,

I have the same reaching strut fitting and it's always worked fine poling out the Genoa. If I expect to use it, I rig the pole with a topping lift and store it vertically on the mast, one end clipped to the mast ring and the other held aloft by the topping lift. Super easy to deploy from there.

Note: Occasionally while racing, having Joe Myerson on the foredeck poling out the Genow with a long boat hook has worked well, too.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698