1982 CD36 Questions

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SSgtPitt

1982 CD36 Questions

Post by SSgtPitt »

There are some items on the boat that are in dispute as to their purpose.
Advice and recommendations would be appreciated.
Attachments
This is the original traveler setup and I wish to add blocks and pulleys so I can control it from the cockpit. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
This is the original traveler setup and I wish to add blocks and pulleys so I can control it from the cockpit. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
IMG_3223.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 1023 times
I'm using the hard mounted block for the Jib fuller. it used to be on the attached block.  There are two hard mounted blocks, on each side of the transom. what are these used for ?
I'm using the hard mounted block for the Jib fuller. it used to be on the attached block. There are two hard mounted blocks, on each side of the transom. what are these used for ?
IMG_3227.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1023 times
? Spinnaker Pole
? Spinnaker Pole
IMG_3228.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1023 times
Semper Fi,
SSgtPitt
Jim Walsh

Re: 1982 CD36 Questions

Post by Jim Walsh »

Picture 1) no advice
Picture 2) spinnaker pole maybe, more likely for a whisker pole. If it's for a spinnaker you'll also see a place for your downhaul and have a pole lift.
Picture 3) those are turning blocks. Run your headsail sheets through your sheet blocks (on the track mounted on your toerail) and then to the turning blocks and your sheets leads fair to your sheet winches. The small Harken block is a ratchet block and is definitely for your furling line. The ratchet gives just enough resistance to your furling line to prevent an over-ride on the drum.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
J Stevenson

Post by J Stevenson »

Original traveler - vendor was Nicro.
Search on "mainsheet traveler" - you will find a lot of information. I sense owners prefer replacing the Nicro setup - and lean (perhaps) to Garhauer.
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Post by Steve Bryant »

With regard to the two stern turning blocks, they could be used for your head sail sheets, but my guess is that these are for your spinnaker sheets, which would in turn be led to your primary winches. The normal genoa track blocks are typically to far inboard to provide a good angle for sheeting a spinnaker and you wouldn't want to lose the use of your head sail sheets while flying the spinnaker anyway.

Agree with Jim about the ratchet block for the furler, but you might want to mount it to the stern pulpit leg instead of lashing it to the other block.

Good Luck,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
SSgtPitt

Post by SSgtPitt »

Thanks for the info guys. I'll start playing with the setup.
We're sending our jib to Sailcare for repairs and refurbishing but have no spare or extra sails. How do i find information or recommendations on what to buy for this cutter rigged boat?
Semper Fi,
SSgtPitt
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

SSgtPitt wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I'll start playing with the setup.
We're sending our jib to Sailcare for repairs and refurbishing but have no spare or extra sails. How do i find information or recommendations on what to buy for this cutter rigged boat?
Speak to any sailmaker and they can provide several choices. A sailmaker can inspect what sails you have and provide a professional assessment of their condition and suggestions for repairs or replacements based on your financial means. The basic suite of sails for your vessel are comprised of a mainsail, a staysail, and a headsail. There are any number of headsails to choose from based on your intended use and the prevailing conditions in your home cruising ground.
It might be best for you to familiarize yourself with the sails you have, as long as they are serviceable, for your initial season. This will allow you to make an informed decision before investing in new sails. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

SSgtPitt

Post by SSgtPitt »

Thanks Jim, i'll find a reputable guy in Corpus to take a look at the boat.
Semper Fi,
SSgtPitt
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Here's a link to a portion of the CD36 traveler discussion: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... +traveller

There's also a nice picture there of Rich Abato's Garhauer traveler.

Those turning blocks are likely for a spinnaker of some sort.

Best sail arrangement for the 36, in my opinion, is her original yankee, staysail, and main. Tacking an oversized headsail through the slot between the staysail and headstay is just too much trouble. Some people have converted to a removable inner-stay. The cutter is a very convenient design with a lot of options. Standard sails with a dedicated light-air sail - such as a drifter (as we have) or an asymmetric - keeps her moving in all air.

Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Here's a screenshot of a 1986 Cape Dory sales brochure which clearly shows the turning blocks in use with the headsail sheets as I have described previously. It is exactly how Cape Dory arranged the turning blocks on my own CD31 to ensure the sheets lead fair to the sheet winches.
Attachments
1986 Cape Dory brochure showing the proper use of the turning blocks to ensure a fair lead to the sheet winches.
1986 Cape Dory brochure showing the proper use of the turning blocks to ensure a fair lead to the sheet winches.
image.png (3.53 MiB) Viewed 924 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Interesting brochure shot. Our '79 CD36 had no such arrangement; the sheet runs right from the track-mounted block to the winch. Looks like they have some self-tailing winches on that brochure boat. Bringing the sheet back to the coaming cleat would sure make a nice web of jib sheet without those self-tailers.
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

On Mariah, besides keeping the sheet from interfering with the weather cloths, the aft turning blocks are used to bring the yankee sheet fair to the self tailing Lewmar 40 winch. They both serve double duty by holding an attachable block for the gennaker sheet. I added a Spartan cleat for that sheet.

I also agree with David that the boat sails best with the yankee staysail arrangement. I have furlers for both sails and retained the boom for the staysail which is great for single-handed sailing.

Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
SSgtPitt

Post by SSgtPitt »

Ok, i got one more. Above my radar there's a cylindrical object that i can not even guess as to it's purpose. One of my dockmates suggested it was a "mast righting" contraption in case i went over.
Attachments
Mast "thing"
Mast "thing"
image.jpeg (499.34 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Semper Fi,
SSgtPitt
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Looks like an EchoMax radar reflector.
Never take any advice from that dockmate. :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

SSgtPitt

Post by SSgtPitt »

Thanks, i didn't assume it was some type of self inflating mast erector.
Semper Fi,
SSgtPitt
Keith

Post by Keith »

as others have stateside the fixed turning block is for your jib sheet or your spinnaker. I use it for the spinnaker. The loose block attached with line is for your headsail furler.