2018 Golden Globe Race

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David van den Burgh

2018 Golden Globe Race

Post by David van den Burgh »

Cruising the internet this morning, I came upon the Golden Globe Race site and noticed that the Cape Dory 36 is on the "approved" list of entries. I thought maybe some of you here would be interested in checking out the site and some of the videos published about the race by McIntyre Adventures. Wouldn't it be cool to see a CD36 in the race?!

http://mcintyreadventure.com/goldengloberace/about_ggr/

And a few YouTube videos about the race can be viewed here:

https://youtu.be/q7oVv9BpSrQ

For anyone interested, there's a very nicely produced documentary titled "Deep Water" available on Netflix about Donald Crowhurst and Teignmouth Electron, his custom-built trimaran. Hopefully the 2018 race will be spared such tragedy.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: 2018 Golden Globe Race

Post by Neil Gordon »

28 feet... too short... I'm out.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing. Wouldn't it be great to track a CD36 around the would in the GGR.

Keith
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am disappointed. I was prepping to enter and then learned that a sailboat entrant has to "[h]ave a hull length of between 32ft and 36ft." Sadness and despair shall control the day. :wink:

My beloved S/V Bali Ha'i (1982 Cape Dory 25D) feels equal sadness and despair. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I am disappointed. I was prepping to enter and then learned that a sailboat entrant has to "[h]ave a hull length of between 32ft and 36ft." Sadness and despair shall control the day. :wink:

My beloved S/V Bali Ha'i (1982 Cape Dory 25D) feels equal sadness and despair. :D
Nobody owns the ocean. What stops you from tagging along unofficially?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Alas Femme, as a Cape Dory 33, is 200 kilos too LIGHT to enter this race. I would have never once thought she was too light in displacement for anything since she has an over 400 D/L ratio. But you learn something new every day. I've always thought that number belies her ability to sail well.

What a great adventure and I hope it has a good selection of entrants and goes well.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am greatly relieved to discover that Raven is also too little to play.

The CD-36 has a very good chance of winning against those other boats. Now we just need a few more to enter in order to up the odds.

If I were ever to have any desire to do a circumnavigation, it would certainly not be a non stop affair, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I looked into the race about six months ago. I was told the Far Reach has too many modifications. Funny thing is almost none of the boats in the original race were production boats. Bernard Moitessier's boat Joshua was 40' steel. Knox Johnson's boat was 32'wood. No one else finished. Several boats were 28' I think. There were at least two wood multi-hulls. I thought the Far Reach really represented the spirit of the original race--spliced standing rigging, no furling gear, no gps, no engine or chart plotter, a sounding line vice a depth sounder, kerosene lamps and running lights, and a tiller. I still don't understand the rules. It's not like it's a match race. All the boats are different anyway. Kind of weird rules really. Have I mentioned the Caribbean is beautiful this time of year? LOL.