Cape Dory running rigging

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Cape Dory running rigging

Post by moctrams »

I but my running rigging from these folks and now they have rigging kits for CD25, CD30 and CD 33.

http://www.cajunrope.com/cape-dory.html
Steve Laume

Re: Cape Dory running rigging

Post by Steve Laume »

I printed out the spec sheet for the CD-30. It is a really good reference (too bad they didn't specify the lengths) and I wouldn't hesitate to buy their line but I wouldn't want everything they are offering. I have replaced all of Raven's running and standing rigging since I have had her but just not all at one time and not with all the same line. There are so many choices and different characteristics in line these days. I have nice shackles and I wouldn't want the spices either.

Still this is a great offering for someone who just wanted to replace everything and not worry about it, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>... and I wouldn't want the spices either...<<

The number of shackle-spliced lines that are ever turned end-for-end rounds to zero. Pretty much the same for merely cutting a few inches off and freshening the nip.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

I'm with Neil.

We don't race and try not to really push our running rigging very hard. We've decided to replace one line each year, using the very scientific "which one looks the most pathetic" standard. Works so far.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays to all those who are fortunate enough to own one of these grand old boats.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Neil Gordon wrote:>>... and I wouldn't want the spices either...<<

The number of shackle-spliced lines that are ever turned end-for-end rounds to zero. Pretty much the same for merely cutting a few inches off and freshening the nip.
The only rigging failure I have ever had occurred at an eye splice. Everything looked fine and then it wasn't. The rest of the line saw other use, as it was still quite strong and I no longer have any splices running rigging, Steve.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

jen1722terry wrote:I'm with Neil.

We don't race and try not to really push our running rigging very hard. We've decided to replace one line each year, using the very scientific "which one looks the most pathetic" standard. Works so far.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays to all those who are fortunate enough to own one of these grand old boats.

Jenn and Terry
That is pretty much what I did. Another metric is to determine which lines are the most critical. If your main comes tumbling down or a sheet flies free, it is not the end of the world but could be troublesome. I think the most critical line on our boats is the roller furling line. If it were to part when you need to reef; it is a major problem, Steve.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Thoughtful post, Steve.

And we feel guilty, in that we have not replaced the furling line yet, after 3 summers of ownership.

Our problem is that our boat is in Nova Scotia and we are now in New Hampshire for the winter. Thus we cannot check the length/diameter for the furling line on our CD 31.

So, do any of the 31 owners out there know these metrics? Much appreciated if you can share. Any recommendation for the exact type of line?

And, again, Happy Holidays to all!

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Jenn & Terry,

We own Slainte, our CD-27. She has a 150% genoa that took more furling line than our Harken fuller was designed for. We had Annapolis Performance Sailing make aline for us that is 1/4" (6mm) Endure braid with the cover striped off of the first 27 feet. That made the line small enough to allow us to furl the 150 with room to spare on the furling drum. It was not cheap, almost $2.00 a foot, but it works VERY well. We inspect it often because it is so critical. We expect to replace it every three or four years, but that has yet to be determined. We just finished our second year. If we had a smaller genoa we could certainly get buy with less expensive all 1/4" or 5/16" line. As for the length, we were advised to go with twice the length of the boat. That too would depend on the size of the jib.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

My Furlex line is 8mm which is most equivalent to 5/16".
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

I used 45 feet of 5/16 Samson LS Yacht Braid ($0.45 per foot from Defender) and stripped out the first 15 feet of core (not cover) to fit it all onto Hood Sea Furl.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx