Sailors and aviators

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Capt Hook

Sailors and aviators

Post by Capt Hook »

I am returning to sailing after about a thirty year absence.

For the past ten plus years my primary interest has been flying.

I founded a type club for a certain group of Beechcraft aircraft.

The Beech Aero Club (www.beechaeroclub.org) is in many ways similar to CDSOA.

We have a website with forums similar to this. Think our planes are a cut above average. They also have been out of production since 1983.

One BAC member (username "sailingsouth") recently sold his plane to go cruising.

Several other BAC members posted that they were also sailors.

I'm curious how many other members of CDSOA are also pilots.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
swpatooty2

Re: Sailors and aviators

Post by swpatooty2 »

Please add me to the list. I had a private license, multi-engine, back in the 1970's. Never had a Cape Dory larger than 10 feet LOA (one 7.5dinghy, and several 10-footers) but, as a transplanted Cape Codder, have followed this site for a while.

Keep on keeping on.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

I'm certainly not a pilot but, when we're trying to make way against a 3 knot current with a 15 knot header, I sure wish I was.

Actually, I can think of at least 7 pilots I've met over years of sailing. My brother was a US Marine pilot who sailed. One of our closest friends up here in Nova Scotia is a retired Air Canada captain. He has captained his grand old Alberg 37 yawl for 30 years with an almost boy-like enthusiasm.

Ships are ships, I suppose, with wings or with winged keels.

Cheers!

Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Single engine land with a couple hundred hours.

Pete
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I am an Active Duty Coast Guard helicopter pilot and have civilian commercial licenses for both fixed and rotary wing aircraft. I consider myself a sailor first though!
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Private pilot, then Commercial license, but soon discovered sailing and realized that it is cheaper than flying :!: AND far more quiet, but I discovered that way too late for these ears. :cry:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Private SEL, owned a 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champ for 15 years. Sold that to buy my first Cape Dory. I haven't found sailing to be cheaper, but it is more relaxing. And yes, easier on the ears than an unmuffled Continental (and also too late for my ears!)
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Also single engine Pipers and Cessnas. Trained out of San Jose International Airport in California in the late 80's. Learned to land with Boeing commercial heavies on my tail! Flying seemed a natural extension of my profession as an Anesthesiologist. Lots of monitoring, high level of environmental awareness. One of my medical mentors once told me the key to stabilizing a patient on the roller coaster of disturbed physiology is to aggressively under treat. Assess, react small, re-assess, repeat, etc. I found flying and sailing similar in that regard. Small changes, repeated often.
Gotta say, though, rather be on the water than in the operating room, these days!

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

David Morton wrote:Flying seemed a natural extension of my profession as an Anesthesiologist. Lots of monitoring, high level of environmental awareness. One of my medical mentors once told me the key to stabilizing a patient on the roller coaster of disturbed physiology is to aggressively under treat. Assess, react small, re-assess, repeat, etc. I found flying and sailing similar in that regard. Small changes, repeated often.
Gotta say, though, rather be on the water than in the operating room, these days!

David
Funny you mention that. Sarah (my wife) is an Anesthesiologist and we often notice how similar our jobs really are. She has even introduced some of the checklists from CG aviation to her colleagues as examples to follow for standardization.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

My dad flew the old Curtiss JN-4 "Jenny" back in the 40’s and I flew the Aeronca Champ with my cousin in the 50’s. We flew out of the old airport in Leesburg, VA that had a grass runway with a “hump” in the middle. It was a lot of fun flying the “Champ” without a radio using basing instruments. I flew a little while at Myrtle Beach in the Aero Club, but had to give it up when a student landed the plane with the wheels up. I thought I would try it again in the 70’s, but did not enjoy it as much as the old “Champ”. Just trim the plane and take off. Very boring, indeed. I fell in love with sailing in the 80’s when I bought a Cal 29 that opened a new world to me e.g. sail theory, navigation, mechanics, and above all; cheap. I can see the folk’s idea of flying, but not for me.
robryan

Post by robryan »

I was also A SEL with instrument rating. flew mostly for business some personal. mostly Cessna 182 in the 70's. in the 80 several different pipers, mooney & beechcraft. after the 90's mostly Piper SARATOGA several hundred hours. I am a Mfrg rep so when I lost several lines in early 2000's I had to quit big income drop.

Took up sailing this year with sailing lessons. Bought Typhoon in may. sailed all summer on a local lake. bought a CD 31 in Sept to put on Lake Superior. ( it was already there). Currently taking a coastal navigation class through ASA here in minneapolis.

Plan on the big Loop with the boat in Sept. 2018. Sail on Lake Superior for 2 years Retiring the end of 2017 at age of 75. Time to start something new.