Looking for help recovering or replacing cushions MA, RI

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Looking for help recovering or replacing cushions MA, RI

Post by Joe Myerson »

It's long past time to replace the covers, and possibly the foam, on the interior cushions in my 25D. Does anybody know of a good source in Cape Cod, Eastern MA, RI areas?

Thanks,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
psjanker

Re: Looking for help recovering or replacing cushions MA, RI

Post by psjanker »

I too am looking a doing some improvements. Specifically I am looking at a replacement closed cell material for the filling. The current open cell padding seems to attract and hold water as well as mildew and smells. Anyone have good and hopefully inexpensive solutions?

V/r

Pete
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Sailrite sells foam that does not absorb much, if any, water, as well as other foams for various uses. They sell materials and equipment for making new covers but be warned that, in our experience anyway, making good interior cushions is not an easy, "weekend" project. We're still trying to make cockpit cushions, but it's taken a while.

Cheers!

Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

That is why I am looking at keeping the covers (which seem to be in good shape) and just replace the filling.

Pete
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Smart move, Pete.

We'll probably do the same thing, as our interior original covers are still in fine shape (though a bit dated in design).

We've tested quite a few foams at boat shows and our local fabric store and glad we did.

Good luck with the project.

Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Terry

Been lucky in that our fabric is a solid basic blue color. Please let us know the make and specs of the filler you finally settle on.

Pete
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Hi Joe,

I am going to replace Saga's cushions this winter. I have a source in NC foam. I just did the cushions in a friends Pearson 303 and the foam was $160. That was for 2 4" and 2 3" 78" long--that is for the foam only. CD25D would probably be a bit more because of the quarter berth.

I am able to get fabric for from $13 to about $7 depending--

I just purchased beautiful fabric from Big Duck Canvas.

Good luck
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Thanks, Trapper. I just ordered new cushions from my local sailmaker. When I contacted him a number of years ago, he didn't do that kind of work, but now he does. Not cheap, though.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I understand-- not cheap. Honestly, when I make cushions, it takes me at least 8 hours to make one cushion. Material and foam are expensive-in the end, I wonder how they do it--I have professional equipment but it still takes me a long time to make a cushion--I guess they sew much faster than I do-- Cut, plan, etc all faster than me! Not going to quit my day job anytime soon.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Hello again, Joe,

That was a smart move to order the cushions from a professional. Cushions, particularly interior cushions are, in our experience, so difficult to make well that it just doesn't make sense to try to learn the skills for a one-off project. The cockpit cushions were hard enough, and we decided to forego piping to simplify the project.

If any of you have read the wonderful novel "Shipping News," you may recall that one of the characters in this great read was a marine upholsterer. The story illuminated the difficulty of this exacting line of needlework.

Interior cushions are even more complex with the outside bevels and curves and varying measurements among the cushions. So we'll just re-foam the old ones. The amazing thing is the quality of the fabrics CD used for the interiors. Three decades old and, while dated, are still quite sturdy. Another of the many indicators of quality that makes us all love these grand old boats.

Photos of your completed interior upholstery would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Terry and Jenn
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"