FAR REACH UNDER SAIL

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

FAR REACH UNDER SAIL

Post by John Stone »

I needed to sail the Far Reach down to Oriental NC (about 10 miles) for our sailmaker to measure for a trysail, new mainsail cover, and a jib deployment go-bag. My sister Tricia joined me so we made it an over night trip. It was a terrific sail. I attached a few pictures. That is my sister Tricia in the photo.

The first day, a beat in 10-12 knots of wind and the second day a run home in about 15-18 knots of wind. We used the big drifter on the first day and it was just terrific. The Cape Horn windvane continued to perform exceptionally well both up wind and down wind. We also love the extra room and less clutter in the cockpit by converting from wheel to tiller. The recently installed fold-over saloon table is a big improvement over the double drop leaf table that was original to the boat.

Though mostly we made about 5.8 knots upwind in 10-12 knots of wind we occasionally climbed up to the middle and upper six knot range in the puffs. We also recorded 7.8 knots at one point. We saw two other CDs sailing out of the harbor Friday morning, one was a CD 25 and the other might have been a CD 22? They both looked great.

The fall weather is just starting to reveal itself. It's wonderful getting out on the water after all those years of work, though I am installing a small solar system at the moment. Installing the boom gallows should be the last major project for the foreseeable future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: FAR REACH UNDER SAIL

Post by Jim Walsh »

Real nice, John. Great to know most of your hard work is completed and you're now able to see your plans come to fruition. Knowing Far Reach is primarily the fruit of your planning and execution must provide a sense of accomplishment few us us ever attain.

I was closely examining your photos and have one question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Jim. I am shamefully delighted with her. I don't often think about how long it took. At this point it all seems well worth it.

The two lines and jam cleats at the front edge of the cockpit foot well you highlighted in the photo are the control lines that engage the Cape Horn windvane. Those lines run back under the cockpit floor and through a series of blocks (some are connected to the former wheel steering quadrant) then through more blocks and ultimately to a second quadrant in the lazarette that is physically connected to the windvane's horizontal tube that passes through the transom.
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

John
Not familiar with the rigs of the bigger CD's
Did Far reach come with 2 spreaders or did you 'beef up' the rig?
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hi Pete
We installed a new rig. It's lighter by 50 lbs and 3 1/2' taller. Two spreaders required. We also designed and built a longer bowsprit. The boat has 103 sqft more working sail area.

If you are interested, there is more info here. Scroll down about a third of the way for the details of the spar build.
http://www.farreachvoyages.com/projects ... sails.html
Dino
Location: Oriental, NC. CD 25D. Previously CD22, Typhoon and CD 10.

Post by Dino »

John-

Your boat and your blog chronicling her rebuild - amazing!

I was probably the CD22 you saw Friday, I'm the only one here that I know of. Did it have a brown dodger? That's me. I'd chased another boat beating to windward out toward South River and retraced that route a few times. I enjoy playing in that long fetch chop that builds when NE winds come across the Pamlico sound.

I'd not realized the boat I'd passed early that morning anchored in the harbour was yours, even though my boat is just three slips in from the anchorage! Alas, I'm daft.

I don't often sail upriver toward Minnesott and your neck of the river, but will do so more often now that I know you're there.

You're always welcome again here too.

Regards.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Dino
Thanks. The thing I loved about watching the two Cape Dories sail out of Oriental was they were sailing. I remember saying to myself when I watched you trim your main and scoot out of the harbor was "there is someone that loves to sail." I see so many boats motoring, even when the wind is fair. On our run back home we were making over 6 knots with just the main up and off to the north, going the same direction, was a Catalina 36 . . . motoring . . . downwind with 15-18 knots of wind over the stern.

Ill keep an eye out for you.
Northoceanbeach

Post by Northoceanbeach »

That's one thing here in California compared to Washington, everybody sails. They don't know the concept of motoring.

Kick ass boat. Is it one of the best 36's in existence?