Sliding hatch

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

J D

Sliding hatch

Post by J D »

Has any one done anything to reinforce their sliding hatch? It seems very soft and flexable when steped on. If so, what did you do?
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Sliding hatch

Post by tjr818 »

On Slainte, our 27, the hatch does not seem soft. The First Mate and I each go over 12 stone and have never noticed any deflection. When working at the mast or putting on the sail cover we do make sure to close the hatch, but we never intentionally step on.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
c1josh

Re: Sliding hatch

Post by c1josh »

J D,

On my CD-25 someone stepped on the hatch and broke the reinforcing rib. This rib at the aft end of the hatch needs to be securely fastened to the hatch to keep it rigid and in the correct shape.

The screws that are used to mount this part go through the smaller rib on the outside that you grab when you slide the hatch. Take a look at the underside of the hatch and see if the rib is still securely fastened. If it's loose, see if you can fix the problem by simply tightening the screws. On my hatch this rib had split as the screws pulled out, and I had to epoxy it back together. So far this season it's holding up OK.

If the rib is still securely attached you may have some other problem.

I hope this helps.

Josh