Trufuel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Evans

Trufuel

Post by Jim Evans »

Any experience with TruFuel? It's an ethanol-free fuel (either premix or regular) hi octane fuel suitable for long term storage. I'd use it in my 2 HP Honda that I hang on the stern rail, and I'm lucky if I run a gallon of fuel through it each summer. I've not had ethanol problems, but I want to avoid them. It seems to me the extra cost of TruFuel is worth some peace of mind. And I could store it on the stern rail in PVC tubes, like I do with my 1 lb LP canisters for the BBQ grill. I would use fresh TruFuel each summer. Any thoughts? Their link: http://www.trufuel50.com

Thanks.
Jim Evans
bottomscraper

Re: Trufuel

Post by bottomscraper »

It is probably fine for your 4 cycle Honda but it doesn't appear that the pre mix would be good for a 2 cycle water cooled outboard, at least it doesn't say that the oil used is TC-W3.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
RLW

Post by RLW »

I buy E-zero (as I call it) and use it for all of my small engines, including a 2 hp Honda outboard. I mix outboard oil with it for the 2 strokes (Johnson 4 hp long shaft, lawn trimmer, etc.) and run it as is for the 4 strokes, including a Honda generator. Shelf life is advertised as 3 years, and at $9.95 per gallon at the pump it is much cheaper than Moto Mix (Stihl), Tru Fuel and the others that are sold in small containers. Unlike you, I have had problems with alcohol induced moisture, and will never use the ethanol fuels for small engines again unless I use the engine daily.
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Rich- do you know anywhere near Barrington I can get non ethanol fuel?
RLW

Post by RLW »

YES! Columbus Fuels; Route 6 East of Route 136 in Swansea.
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI