Lake Hartwell and Lake Murray and Lake Lanier

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Lake Hartwell and Lake Murray and Lake Lanier

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I recently got some disappointing news.

Lake Murray apparently does not have any marina with a travel lift; not even a small travel lift for a tiny little Cape Dory 25D.

In recently reviewing the posts on the board I read a post from 2010 that stated that Lake Hartwell also does not have a travel lift.

I am looking to move out of "Hurricane Alley". I am trying to find a location (preferably near the East Coast) where I can move S/V Bali Ha'i and enjoy her on an inland lake. However, I need to be able to haul out and put on jack stands so I can do work on her as needed, including painting her bottom, etc.

In doing research on both Lake Murray and Lake Hartwell they seem to suggest that they have larger sailboats on these lakes (30 - 34 footers; not necessarily Cape Dory sailboats). What do these owners do when they need to haul out :?:

A friend suggested buying (or borrowing) a trailer. I am not really interested in that for S/V Bali Ha'i. I want to keep her either on a mooring or at a dock on a lake and haul out at a marina when needed for maintenance and/or repairs.

Does anyone know what other options are available on inland lakes like Hartwell and Murray :?:

Is there another lake I should consider :?: I once looked at a Cape Dory 25D on Lake Lanier but do not know if any marina on Lake Lanier has a travel lift. Possibly Bald Ridge Marina has/had a travel lift.

Any and all thoughts, suggestions, recommendations will be much appreciated. I have resigned myself to the disappointing reality that I will be in Miami for the 2015 hurricane season. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: It's going to be a tough 5 months (Jul - Nov). I am going to have to begin stocking up soon on Guinness and Jack Daniels. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Re: Lake Hartwell and Lake Murray and Lake Lanier

Post by bhartley »

Don't let the perceived need for a travel lift define where you go. Most of these inland lakes have workarounds and much bigger boats than a 25D. We, on Lake Hartwell, have plenty of 34'+ foot boats that arrived without benefit of a travel lift. The sailboat marinas (yes, there are separate sailboat and power boat marinas) can give you guidance. Do not demand a travel lift. Big Water on Lake Hartwell uses a very funky "sling trailer" which looks like a submersible travel lift. We also have two travel lifts at Big Water that don't move. They use them to work on boats and transfer from trailer to trailer, etc. They are very adept at putting very big boats into the lake. Our 25D is a baby sized boat for them. They moved us to the lift for stepping the mast and finishing bottom paint on the keel, then back on the trailer and down the 50' ramp. We have 3 25Ds, a 28 and a 27 on the lake. None of them used a travel lift. Think outside the box.

Bly
Who actually got to eat lunch on her boat yesterday!
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Roberto,

I'm sure "Trapper" can add to this note, she's been around on Lake Murray longer than I have. However check through the Marinas one more time. Use this link: http://www.lake-murray.com/lake-murray-marinas/

I tend to agree with Bly, because even at our club we've a "boat-load" of vessels larger than yours. Plenty of trailers and friendly sailors who will assist with hauling and splashing. There are friendly people at LMSC!

Take another look.

v/r
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
flyboy5724

Post by flyboy5724 »

I bought my CD28 on lake hartwell and the marina lifted it out and put it on a truck. That was a year and half ago. Also there is a ramp at the western Carolina sailing club that can use a hydraulic trailer from a boat hauling company and they can unstep the mast right there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RonSanga

Post by RonSanga »

Here at Western Carolina Sailing Club we have 2 CD 330's, 1 CD 30, 2 CD 27's and 2 CD 25D's. All without a travel lift. We do have a great launch ramp and several trailers. Plus as Bly said Big Water can ulnoad anything you may have on a transport truck.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Thanks for all of your posts as well as the PMs and emails. Very helpful and educational.

Travel lifts are NOT the only way to go. Who knew :!: :wink:

I talked with a guy from Boat Exchange on Lake Murray. He said its really no issue and they can haul out a Cape Dory 25D.

The search for a small lake front home where I can keep my little sailboat away from "Hurricane Alley" is back on :!: :D :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Trading bull sharks for cottonmouths, eh :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim Walsh wrote:Trading bull sharks for cottonmouths, eh :roll:
Dam$ you Jim, will you stop scaring the "HE double hockey sticks" out of me :!: Good friends don't do that. :) :) :)

After your post I checked. There are snakes around Lake Murray. Thanks.

Although they are dangerous and mostly unpredictable, bull sharks I am used to. I know their behavior pattern and when to stay away.

I don't know anything about snake behavior. All I know is I am very scared of them. So, now, thanks to JIM WALSH (my former friend) Lake Murray is off the list of possibles. I am now thinking of Pontoosuc Lake in Western Mass. Very small lake; a CD 14 may be small enough but at least NO SNAKES.

Thanks again Jim.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

At least bull sharks don't climb into your boat with you. Cottonmouths have that obnoxious trait. If you decide to retire to the Berkshire's I might feel sorry for you and take you sailing....no bull :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Are there bears in Western Mass.?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

I have encounter snakes at 10,000 feet in the Rockies and in Canada. They are wonderful creatures, albeit some are dangerous. Snake vs shark. I'll take the snake every time. And these guys are the harmless ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7dVzF1BgEI

Might want to consider a high altitude balloon.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

Okay... let's have the rest of these Hartwell CDs joining the CDSOA. Wind Horse is with us... where is the rest of WCSC? :oops:

Bly
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

tjr818 wrote:Are there bears in Western Mass.?
Yup, lots. My uncle shot one which insisted on coming in through the dining room window a few years ago. His two shepards were right there in the dining room barking to drive it off but it persisted, until its demise that is......
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Roberto, really? Lake Murray is full of sailboats and bass fishermen, LOL. The snakes are rather unseen and when they do appear they are water critters. The cotton-mouths are in the river areas not here. No fear my friend! Visit before you choose!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

plan C - Lake Champlain where you have 5 months of sailing, 6 months of skiing or ice boating and one month of mud season!