Freestyle canoeing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

boogie

Freestyle canoeing

Post by boogie »

Not Cape Dory but worth to watch.
http://www.wimp.com/freestylecanoeing/
Jacob KB2C
SV "Malaika" PSC 37
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Freestyle canoeing

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jacob:

Thanks for posting this. It is a great video and wonderful music to accompany the performance.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have seen this before and this guy is a master at flat water canoe control. I still can't imagine spending the time it would take to achieve these skills, for a competition, in front of a handful of admiring spectators but that is what makes the world an interesting place.

This is also a fine illustration of initial and final stability that relates to our boats. Watch carefully as he enters the boat and when it is not heeled during any of his maneuvers. That boat has very little initial stability as witnessed by the wobble even this expert experiences. Once heeled to the gunnels he is very stable. This relates very well to a Cape Dory hull once it reaches 15* of heel.

For any of you that complain about the instability of hard dinghies, you could spend a bit more time in a canoe, Steve.
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

I still can't imagine spending the time it would take to achieve these skills, for a competition, in front of a handful of admiring spectators

In front of a handful of admiring spectators? This video has been seen by over 770,000 people on you tube!

Live performances are so twentieth century. :)
CDSOA Member 1389
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Does the bow tie impact stability?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

No life vest, untethered, no registration, no flares or throwable PFD . . .I think the bowtie was there to try and make a good impression should the Coast Guard show up.
No tiller and no prop to lock.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Gary H wrote:
I still can't imagine spending the time it would take to achieve these skills, for a competition, in front of a handful of admiring spectators

In front of a handful of admiring spectators? This video has been seen by over 770,000 people on you tube!

Live performances are so twentieth century. :)
I am so 20th century that it never even occurred to me that I was one of the nearly one million people who had watched this on U Tube.

The guy is a master and deserves the virtual crowd he is drawing. They do doubles freestyle canoeing as well and it is truly an art, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I've done most of those moves over the years, it just wasn't choreographed. It was inadvertent freestyle. :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I did one of those moves once in an Old Town Tripper. Did you know that those things only have neutral buoyancy (at best) oops: And very little stability when inverted. :cry:

That exhibition was amazing.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Freestyle canoeing

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim Walsh wrote:I've done most of those moves over the years, it just wasn't choreographed. It was inadvertent freestyle. :roll:
Now that I think about it I've done most of those moves also; in a YMCA canoe on Pontoosuc Lake. My moves were not carefully choreographed to music, nor were there a lot of spectators - except the usual YMCA club weekend crowd. My moves were also a lot more frenetic than the artist in the video. I was just trying to keep from going in the water. The only thing I ever learned about that canoe experience was how to climb back into the canoe after tipping over. After you have climbed back in 25-30 times in less than one hour you actually get pretty good at it - climbing back in that is. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:I've done most of those moves over the years, it just wasn't choreographed. It was inadvertent freestyle. :roll:
After you have climbed back in 25-30 times in less than one hour you actually get pretty good at it - climbing back in that is. :wink:
I presume this was when we were all much younger, or the water was very, very, cold :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have a short plastic whitewater kayak and a 17" sea kayak but my favorite is a 70s vintage, fiberglass, 14' slalom boat. It is fairly fast but it spins and turns quick and smoothly. It gives me the feeling of what that canoe looks like. It can't swamp and it rolls back up if you flip.

It's a great little boat, Steve.