CD27 Mast Support Location

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

CD27 Mast Support Location

Post by Wingaersheek II »

Can someone tell me where the mast support is located on a CD27? I want to core a new hole in the deck for wiring and would like to avoid this.

Thanks,
Jim
Steve Laume

Re: CD27 Mast Support Location

Post by Steve Laume »

On the CD-30 the structure is raised up from the rest of the deck and glassed right over. The one on Raven is kind of an H shape. I drilled a couple of holes through it for mast wiring. It is only mild steel so it isn't that hard to drill through. I drilled the hole a bit bigger than I needed and then coated the edges with epoxy, to seal the steel. The biggest problem you might encounter is steel shavings that will cause rust stains on your deck. These are fairly easy to prevent and no problem to get rid of.

I would not worry to much about where the steel structure is but rather put the holes were they work the best for you, Steve.
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

Thanks Steve.

To be clear, my concern is not getting through it, but rather that I have no idea how beefy it is and didn’t want to do anything that might compromise its structural integrity. So if drill to the left or the right of the raised area where the mast step sits, I likely won’t hit it at all, but if I do, then just seal the steel and don’t worry about it.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Maybe move a strong, (alnico ?) magnet over the area to try to locate where the support is.

Good luck,
OJ
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I would say the structure is probably 3/8" thick. Drilling small holes in it will not weaken it. Think about all the lightening holes in aircraft structure.

If you try to move to far away from the mast you will exit somewhere under the head liner where there is no access. You will also have longer loops of exposed wire on deck that could cause tangles, tripping hazards or damage to the wires. I have a cluster of three mast wires that enter the boat under the little teak inspection plate in the headliner just forward of the mast step. I use Blue Sea Clams to seal the holes.

If you move away from the structure you will also have the cored deck to deal with, Steve.