Preserving Our Wood Finishes over the Winter; A New Way

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Evans

Preserving Our Wood Finishes over the Winter; A New Way

Post by Jim Evans »

The recent issue of Family Handyman Magazine had a short article about this clever product: http://stoplossbags.com. I bought a few, and I really like them for keeping my satin and gloss varnishes, and wood sealer. They work really well, and are easy to use. It's another one of those simple and clever ideas that makes me wonder what took so long! No, I'm not affiliated with the developer; just a happy customer.
Jim Evans
Steve Laume

Re: Preserving Our Wood Finishes over the Winter; A New Way

Post by Steve Laume »

That bag looks like it would do a really nice job preserving a can of finish.

If you have a whole mess of different cans you would need a bunch of bags. What I do, is to gently open the valve on a little propane torch while the end is in the can. Let the gas flow for a few seconds and then slip the lid onto the can. It displaces all the air in the can because the gas is heavier and the finish will not cure without oxygen. You can use the existing can and it is pretty cheap if you have a multitude of different finishes to worry about.

For real varnish the bag looks like a very good idea. You could pour out however much of the finish as you think you might need into a pan. Never a need to dip a brush in the can or trying to pour it into another container, while spilling it all over the side of the can.

Of all the things that are packaged in plastic these days, why not varnish in a bag, straight from the manufacturer? If one of you guys wants to apply for the patent at least remember me when you are looking for crew in some exotic location, Steve.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

It looks like great idea. It works for wine and I understand that they are dispensing beer into bag growlers too. I'm willing to give it a try.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

OK, I am going to give away my secret. I love those space vacuum bag thingys. My wife bought them for bedding and clothes on the boat, but then I thought, what if I used them for paint and varnish to remove the air and help add another seal for the can. Works better than I thought it would and the quart cans store much better in the locker and dock box. Wife was not nearly as impressed as I was when she was looking for one to store the summer clothes...