CD Typhoon question about spreader/tang

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JulieC

CD Typhoon question about spreader/tang

Post by JulieC »

Hi all,

When we stepped the mast on Dragonfly today I noticed that this tang where the spreader attaches to the mast is bowing a bit.
Seems like something I should address. Does anyone have recommendations for where to get the replacement part?

I have looked at the impenetrable list of parts at rigrite.com, and don't see an exact match, but wonder whether what I'm looking for is the Fixed Strap tang to replace the two that are in the photos below.

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/ ... mplete.htm

Could also use any advice about replacement - there seems to be silicone btw the hardware and the mast now. Is this recommended?

Thanks,
Julie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie
1970 CD Typhoon Weekender, "Dragonfly"
Hull 170
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
swhfire21

Re: CD Typhoon question about spreader/tang

Post by swhfire21 »

Try Dwyer Mast (https://www.dwyermast.com/default.asp). They had several of the odd mast parts I needed for my 26.
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ
ronkberg

Re: CD Typhoon question about spreader/tang

Post by ronkberg »

Julie, I wonder if the spreader was not setup perpendicular to the mast? My Typhoons had stainless steel wire wrapped around the stay on both sides but loose enough to allow the spreader to slip into a perpendicular position on the mast. The spreader forces should directly inward on the mast and if it were not, then the forces could cause the deformation you have shown.

That said, I wonder if the aluminum spreaders are stiff enough to cause the stainless steel tang deformation? Maybe the tang was always bent?? Or some previous owner had bent it???

I no longer have a CD Typhoon but the Alberg 22 I now own does not have same style attachment and is not as robust as the CD's.

Regards, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine