How about that CD31?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Morton

How about that CD31?

Post by David Morton »

As I progress in my search for my next sailboat soulmate, I've come across a CD31. I had previously been looking at the 28 and 30. This boat seems to be a slightly different animal. I was intrigued by the unconventional cabin layout, relatively broad beam, the terrific use of teak below, a keel stepped mast, and the overall quality of the build. It seems quite a bit bigger than the small increase in LOA would predict. So, I'd like to hear from you CD31 sailors about your boat. What do you like, what don't you like? How's she sail, particularly in comparison to any other Cape Dory with which you might have some experience? How does she single-hand? How and why did you end up with this particular Cape Dory?

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
JWSutcliffe

Re: How about that CD31?

Post by JWSutcliffe »

David:

After sailing a CD31 for 6 seasons I can reasonably say that like any boat, it has its good and not so good points. It sails at least as well as the CD30 I previously had. The added displacement and freeboard tend to make it a bit drier and smoother than the 30 in chop. The only significant issue I have had with my 31 is the difficult access to the back of the engine, but that is going to be an issue in any Cape Dory under 36 feet, or probably any other similar sailboat of the same vintage. It's a manageable issue if you have a willing and small framed helper.

The 31 is fine for single handing. The slightly wider deck to the sides of the cabin provide easy access forward. I appreciate the added headroom under the boom and the helm location just aft of the end of the boom, as well as the aft cockpit locker which provides a great helm seat. The large, aft located head and U-shaped galley are great. My wife and I find the spacious cabin and amenities a welcome feature for weekend and 1 or 2 week cruises. Keep in mind, however, that those same amenities (hot and cold pressurized water, electric shower/icebox sump drain, refrigeration, etc.) do entail more ongoing maintenance and winterizing complexity.

I would like to say that we logically settled on a 31 after deciding that it was about as big as we felt comfortable with, in terms of close-in handling in a marina, maintaining ourselves and overall costs of ownership. In all honesty, however, those are more the factors we justified the purchase with after I saw the boat and just had to have it.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I agree with everything Skip said. I singlehand 99% of the time with no problems. I have a Monitor windvane and an autopilot to lend a hand and both are appreciated at times. I replaced the engine at the same time I bought ORION so I have no engine issues to deal with. Three years ago I replaced all the standing rigging myself. It was an easy winter project. I've replaced all the sails in the last year also. I think the interior is ideal for a 31 foot boat. Having the head aft provides a place for foul weather gear and helps to keep the interior clean and dry. There is plenty of stowage space in the cabin and both of the cockpit lockers are huge. The lazerette likewise is huge. I just spent a day stretched out under the cockpit sole removing and replacing a couple ventilation hoses so even that space can accommodate a 200+ pound six footer when required. It's not fun but full access is provided to the steering gear and the aft side of the engine when needed. I was happy the day I bought the CD31 and I'm happy that I still own it today. I'm biased but I think ORION is beautiful.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Mike Davis

Post by Mike Davis »

I have to agree with these comments. I owned a cd25 for 10 years before purchasing Bellanena 5 years ago. We have sailed the last 3 years to Montauk and further east from NYC. She handles well in all conditions and is comfortable to sleep in. A beautiful boat in all respects. The cabin is well laid out. The engine is easy to work on, although as mentioned tight in the rear. We love her.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

All great comments and all reflecting my own thoughts. Any insights regarding the keel-stepped mast? How is stepping and unstepping? Does it seem to obstruct mobility in the cabin?

David
Is he still wrong?
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

I've owned my CD 31 for 18 years now (second owner). I agree with all comments made in prior posts and will add these specific points:

The 31 model was one of the thicket of CD's of the day in the 28 to 33 foot range. Were they all being produced at the same time, not sure, but you sure have to scratch your head and wonder why all the boats of similar size? You have already pointed out some differences from the CD30 so you know they are there. My perception of an important distinction is that the CD 31 was the one model in the range that normally came with all the extra goodies, features for cruising; pressure water and attendant plumbing, shorepower install, the then innovative aft head location, good cookstove install (mine is CNG equipped) keel stepped mast, nice double stainless bow and stern pulpits, double life-lines with gates ample well-sized winches etc etc etc. Here are some things to look for.

Carefully examine the engine and figure in re-power job if original - the "marine-ized" small diesels of the day (1980s) do not reflect the advances made over the past 30 years in this technology. I had a Westerbeke Universal M-25xp installed and the improved performance and reliability was worth the expense.

If not in the maintenance records, be ready to replace stern tube and cutlass bearing during re-power or as a job in itself. Cape Dory used a manufacturing, installation technique (puttied-in) that made for quick engine alignment but not built to last.

You will never begrudge the keel stepped mast because of its presence in the cabin and certainly not at sea. As far as un-stepping, yes, its a bit more delicate than plucking it off the cabin top but a competent yard will not be fazed a bit.

Sailing and handling - my crew when I bought my CD31 consisted of a 4 year old and a non-sailor spouse. We have never ever felt the least bit of fear for safety or uncertainty about handling in all our years of sailing on the Chesapeake. I have not taken this boat blue water sailing just due to time constraints, I would not hesitate. I also regularly single hand her. (Ask me about the time the Coast Guard RIB came up on my port quarter whilst I was single handing in a good breeze with the cruising spinnaker flying!)

There have been discussions elsewhere on this board, quite awhile ago about this boat being tender, and in my experience, she is. She will roll abit underfoot and it does not take much to rock her at anchor. It has never bothered me, she has the Alberg wineglass sections. If one wants a flat bottomed boat that doesn't roll abit, there are plenty on the market and I wish their owners well in a nasty chop. I have heard that some have addressed this by laying an additional 200 to 250 lbs of extra lead in her ample bilge, I can not vouch safe for this.

Look through posts on this board about a fairly common problem with leaks into the bilge from the integral holding tank. Not that hard to fix but definitely a vexation. I thank Cape Dory for installing this integral system so early, really before no-discharge zones in most coastal waters. It has worked well over time, pump-outs have never been a problem and I have never had a significant odor problem etc.

Final point - if the boat is listed at a desirable price point and in reasonably good shape - BUY IT! You will not be sorry. IMO she's the prettiest CD of that size range they made! I have never walked away from her thinking anything other than how lovely she is and what a great sailing boat.

Bill Sonntag
Carl Thunberg

My Dream Boat

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I had the good fortune to crew for a good friend of mine on his CD31 on a trip to Nova Scotia. The CD31 had always been my dream boat, and this trip only confirmed all the good things the others have said. Alas, I have kids in college, and my dream boat must remain a dream.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
distand

Post by distand »

Hello David:

I purchased a CD31 2 yrs ago and have been very happy with it's performance. I can give you a couple of tips that I learned during the last 2 yrs:

- Carefully check that the holding tank is not leaking into the bilge. Dry out the bilge and partially fill the holding tank to see if there is leakage. I had this problem but did not realize it when I purchased the boat. My fix is posted on one of my threads. I know that some folks have had luck making repairs through the existing bilge hatch but I felt the need to do some more thorough fiberglass repairs at the bottom of the bilge where the tank forward bulkhead is. The bulkhead had come lose and liquid from HT was seeping into the bilge from there. I ended up cutting a larger hatch to access the problem. Very big job but happy with result.
- There were several electrical issues on the boat when first purchased. They turned out to be minor and just required re-connecting some wires that had loosened.
- There are many threads regarding alternator wiring. There may some improvements to be made but they don't seem to be that expensive (I haven't done them all yet).
- Check for soft spots on deck and cockpit (I didn't have any, luckily)
- My original Universal 25 engine was in good shape. Needed to replace the seawater pump and I had the yard replace the heat exchange which was leaking.
- Another job was to replace the cutlass bearing and shaft. It took some gymnastics to work in the tight space beneath the cockpit (I have a friend more flexible than I).
- Take a good look at the sails. Mine had fairly new ones so I was happy about that. I'm sure you know they are expensive to replace.
That's all I can think of at the moment - Good luck
Don
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Before ever visiting a boatyard, I'd already concluded from armchair research that a CD31 was the perfect choice for us on paper. But when I climbed aboard one and poked around a bit, I was struck by how much "big boat" amenity was included in such a good looking package. Others have enumerated the features, which add up to lots of comfort and cruising capability. When I found Yankee in 2007, it was love at first sight and I've no regrets - no "two-foot-itis," no seven-year itch. A perfect cruiser for two or three, a bit cramped for four (if everyone's brought along a change of clothes), very workable below decks, a comfortable cockpit and, oh yes, great to sail!

When built in '84 insufficient attention may have been paid to electrics, I'd say. Lots of room for improvement there! And the engine mechanics in Taunton must have been long-armed, double-elbowed midgets. But Cape Dory compensated with a solid, old-fashioned build and handsome finishes as with all the boats they produced. And so pretty - everywhere a head-turner!

As one accustomed to the behavior of traditional full-keel boats, I don't know how to evaluate the claims of "tenderness." In a breeze, she likes to heel to about 20 or 25°, then digs in and scoots. The reliance on initial stability, currently in vogue, has already started taking sailors' lives, but our boats take care of us!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The SA/Disp. and the Bal./Disp. ratio's for the CD31 and the CD36 are nearly identicle. Since both share the classis Alberg underwater shape it stands to reason they would have similar handling characteristics. When was the last time the CD36 was declared "tender"? Any reference to tenderness in the CD31 is a bit arbitrary and capricious.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

David Morton

Post by David Morton »

All right, Guys!! I'm feelin' the love!! I've got my fickle eye on a lovely CD31 and, sadly, s/v Wielewaal, my 25D, is up for sale to make room. I'll post something in the Sale/Buy folder soon. My wife, who loves "Willie", has not expressed any overt disapproval of my plans since touring the CD31 in question. This was the first major hurtle! The next is money... We'll see what happens.
I thank you all for your great input in helping me decide what to do. I knew I would get a lot of opinion, but I am surprised and pleased at the, seemingly unanimous, devotion you all feel for this particular Cape Dory.

David
Is he still wrong?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Pretty much all of our boats are of the same design... what's different is the overall displacement. So what will (initially) heel a Typhoon 15 degrees will heel a 36 somewhat less. By that measure, the 36 is less tender than the Ty and I suspect the 31 is more tender than the 36.

The discussion of tender vs. stiff is quite basic, as we pretty much all know. The first 15 degrees or so of heel, we're moving ballast horizontally, which is easy. After that, we're lifting it, which is harder. We all experienced exactly the same thing pulling our friends back on playground swings. Even the heavy kids could be pulled back the first two or three feet... the horizontal part... but it got harder from there.

Yes, our boats are (initially) tender. It's how they were designed, with round hulls and heavy keels. It's also why in strong gusts, they round up rather than getting knocked down. (It's actually not that easy to keep the rail in the water.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

As one accustomed to the behavior of traditional full-keel boats, I don't know how to evaluate the claims of "tenderness." In a breeze, she likes to heel to about 20 or 25°, then digs in and scoots. The reliance on initial stability, currently in vogue, has already started taking sailors' lives, but our boats take care of us!
It took me the first season with my 25D to figure this out! I've come to take the first 20 degrees of heel in stride, in fact I expect it going to windward. It tells me I'm sailing. It is the confidence that the boat is solid at that degree of heel that took some time to soak in my psyche, but now I think I get it.

The particular CD31 that I am looking at has added an additional 500lbs of ballast. I'd be curious to hear what you guys think of that.

David
Is he still wrong?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I removed a significant number of lead ingots from LIQUIDITY, as well. I have no idea who or why they were brought on board... I sailed with them for a season and then removed them. I didn't notice much difference in performance, certainly no significant increase in tenderness, and I also don't remember what I did with the $$$ I got from selling the lead.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I find it difficult to imagine 500 pounds of added lead makes any sense. If the water tanks were kept full that would add about 700 pounds. Barring a rig replacement with a taller mast or indication of some other significant modification I'd just cast bullets out of the lead. A cubic foot of lead weighs about 700 pounds. Perhaps the previous owner never filled his water tanks and thought the performance would be adversely effected without the added weight?????
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION