trailer wheel bearings

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Megunticook

trailer wheel bearings

Post by Megunticook »

I've disassembled my trailer hubs and am planning to install new bearings. Anyone have recommendations on quality USA-built parts (ha-ha--I know, getting hard to find anything not made in China these days). I've heard Timken are good and made in Ohio.

Also, worth investing in Bearing Buddies? The old grease was very contaminated (trailer is new to me as of last fall). I only have to drive 4 miles and back to the boat ramp twice a year, but I'd still like to have the trailer road-worthy. And I'm all for doing things the right way.

Any tips, experiences, ideas on ensuring trouble-free trailer wheels that go into salt water would be appreciated.

Am planning to use Lubriplate special marine grease, seems like a good product and the company says they're excellent for trailer wheel bearings. Anyone have experience with that product?

Thanks.
Michael_Typhoon

Re: trailer wheel bearings

Post by Michael_Typhoon »

I don't know about bearings, but I always have bearing buddies on my trailers. I really like being able to grease them good before every trip.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Before you launch, allow the bearings to cool down to ambient temp.
Why? Because a cold water immersion will contract everything inside and draw water
into your bearings. Before launch is a good time to give your Bearing Buddies a shot of grease.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Always use bearing buddies. Not only does it make it a snap to add grease but spring loaded plate helps keep water out of the bearing. Cheap insurance. I always feel the bearing casing anytime I stop when towing. Mine never even feel warm.

Usually get new tire every 3-4 years whether they look like it's needed or not. Keep a good spare with the trailer (or two). I Jack the trailer when storing long term to save the tires from getting out of round. If stored outside long term might want to cover the tires to protect from UV also.

Usually just use cheap West Marine marine grease. Hit the bearings after most trips or before the next.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

In case this info. helps: I ordered Timken wheel bearings from Rock Auto, they were much less expensive than the local auto parts stores and all but one set of races were stamped "USA"--the races were "France" which I'm OK with. I ordered a set of National brand from Rock Auto as well (they didn't have one of the sets in Timken stocked), they were all stamped "China."

Noticed the hubs have grease fittings in the middle, between that and the bearing buddies I think I should be able to keep everything clean and well-greased. We'll see....I'll take a peek after hauling out the boat later this month.