Typhoon Roller Furling System

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

Typhoon Roller Furling System

Post by casampson »

A local sailmaker has recommended the Hood Seaflex furler for my Typhoon. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Also, he has quoted about $950 for a 130% jib with foam luff and sunshield. Does this seem reasonable? I want to have roller furling on my boat, but the price seems a little high.

Thanks in advance for your input.
shavdog

Re: Typhoon Roller Furling System

Post by shavdog »

For a typhoon I would consider a CDI flexible furler...it's not offshore type equipment buy neither is a typhoon...I put one on my cd 22...
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

shavdog wrote:For a typhoon I would consider a CDI flexible furler...it's not offshore type equipment buy neither is a typhoon...I put one on my cd 22...
I've had a CDI on LIQUIDITY for something like 15 years. Maintenance free other than a hosing with fresh water every once in a while.

Genoa goes on in the Spring. It rolls out, all the way or part of the way; it rolls in, all the way or part of the way. Genoa comes off in the Fall. It's all pretty simple.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
pjust

Post by pjust »

Likewise on the CDI furler. It gives me a 0%-135% Genoa, much appreciated if you mostly sail single-handed.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

Post by Shelby »

as others have said...the CDI is the one to get....it is bullettproof/simple...and very hard to damage if/when the mast is taken up and down....
agogates

Post by agogates »

Bought a CDI FF1 and Genoa from the Sail Store last year. Below is the quote. The only additional expense was a new forestay to fit the roller. Bill was very responsive and couldn't be happier. Works like a charm and easy to install and take down. He suggested no ball bearings were necessary for a TY.
Andy
"S-Cape"

On 3/28/2013 7:54 PM, The Sail Store wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for your inquiry. The Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender 130% Furling Genoa with U.V. cover is $476.00 and the CDI FF 1 is $343.00 with Ball Bearings and $284.00 without Ball Bearings.
>
> Current production time is 4 weeks for the Genoa and the CDI Furler is in stock.
>
> Please feel free to call us directly at 888-946-8242 or email me with any additional questions and I'll be happy to assist you. Thanks again.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bill James
> The Sail Store
> sails@thesailstore.com
> 888-946-8242
casampson

Post by casampson »

Andy,

Thanks for the tip. I contacted Bill and quickly received very similar quotes on a 130% genoa and the CDI roller furling system. I plan to install the FF2 model with ball bearings, however, which is a little more money. The package is about half the cost of my local sail loft, which makes it a no-brainer.

The CD board seems unanimous on the CDI unit. I'd appreciate any specifics you (or anyone else) might have on the quality and fit of a sail from the Sail Store.

Thanks again.

Chris
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

I'll be the dissenting voice and say I don't like CDI furlers. The problem is the integral halyard they use to eliminate halyard wrap issues. It makes installation fool-proof, but it does a lousy job of maintaining luff tension and you have to screw around with a messenger line every time you lower the sail. A conventional halyard works much better imho and you won't get halyard wrap if your furler is installed correctly in the first place. My current boat came to me with a CDI FF1 and I intend to replace it with a Schaefer Snap-Furl 500 when I get a new genoa for next season.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I was reluctant to post a comment here until Stan posted. I know nothing about furlers or which one is better than another.

However, in deciding to install a new furler on S/V Bali Ha'i I did a lot of research. Importantly, I spoke with, among others, two (2) riggers and one (1) sailing school owner/instructor. They all said they do not like the CDI furlers. I no longer remember exactly what their reasoning was but I think one of the riggers voiced the concern that Stan expressed. Interesting, the sailing school owner had 7-8 daysailors in his fleet. (He has since sold his school). These daysailors each had a CDI furler. He did not like them and said he would eventually replace with either Harken or Schaefer.

One of the riggers (very well respected for his skills and knowledge) told me he would not work on and would not install a CDI furler. Again, I do not now remember the details of why he felt this way but I do remember it had something to do with not furling properly. He also recommended either Harken or Schaefer. His personal preference was Harken.

FWIW
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Hymodyne

Post by Hymodyne »

I have had reasonably good luck with a shaefer snapfurl cf-500 on our 22. It is advertized as a furling/reefing unit, but I have not used it in a reefed position. I had to add a 10" pendant to the tack of the jib so the foot of the sail would clear the pulpit and stanchion lines. My one complaint is that the top swivel can bind and twist, instead of furling or unfurling the jib, but a quick back and forth with the jib sheet and the furling line and it resolves itself.

James
agogates

Post by agogates »

I have never had problems furling or unfurling. I am not quite sure what the issue is with the internal halyard, I put it up and take it down once a year with no problems. Considering the cost differential, and positive reviews, I would pick the CDI.
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

agogates wrote:I have never had problems furling or unfurling. I am not quite sure what the issue is with the internal halyard, I put it up and take it down once a year with no problems. Considering the cost differential, and positive reviews, I would pick the CDI.
I agree that CDI furlers furl and unfurl just fine. The integral halyard, on the other hand, seems to be designed on the premise that halyard tension is a set-it-and-forget-it proposition. That is not really the case. For some sailors, halyard tension is a fundamental element of sail trim that requires on-going adjustment. Even with a CDI furler, things will stretch so that you need to re-tension the luff from time to time. A properly installed furler with an upper swivel that attaches to a conventional halyard makes it easy to adjust halyard/luff tension. A CDI furler makes it a PITA.