Central Gulf Coast Sailing ?????

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Central Gulf Coast Sailing ?????

Post by barfwinkle »

GM to all

Is there anything between Carrabelle & Tampa Bay worth seeing? Those waters look very "skinny" and it looks as if it could be a long push in some places to reach a safe harbor/anchor.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Central Gulf Coast Sailing ?????

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bill:

Not sure what your plans or routing are but the September 2014 issue of Cruising Worldhas an article about the coastal town of St. Marks on the west coast of Florida near where Florida "bends" south. St. Marks has several marinas, nice restaurants, etc. When stone crab season opens in the Fall, St. Marks is the "home base".

FWIW
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Post by Steve Bryant »

Hi Bill,

IMHO Cedar Key is a worthwhile destination if you have never been there. The island is a real taste of "Old Florida". It's a fishing and art village that caters to tourists that are looking for a really laid back place to hang out. It's a little more than halfway between Carrabelle and Tampa Bay. The northern Gulf can get pretty squirrly if the winds are out of the south or east, so plan accordingly.

South from there, Tarpon Springs is another boat friendly place to spend a few days before you get to Tampa Bay.

Good Luck,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

On a planing a trip from Mobile Bay down to Fort Meyers, where would you make the turn at the Big Bend? Are there any harbors between Carrabelle and Clearwater? I am not ready for a 200 mile open water passage at 4.5 kts. Any advice will be appreciated.
Merry Christmas to all.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Tim
Are you familiar with cruisers net aka Salty Southeast cruisers or Actine Captain?
Plenty of info for your query.
Hope this helps
Xmas greetings
Pete