Cajun Tiller Tamer - Tips for use?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

swhfire21

Cajun Tiller Tamer - Tips for use?

Post by swhfire21 »

I had seen previous posts and the video of the cajun tiller tamer and gave it a try on our first sail yesterday. It worked really well under power and light winds, but not so well when the winds built up to 10 MPH. How many wraps are most people using? Also, is there a specific way the wraps are to be made as the video shows a nice tight wrap, but mine had a tendency to spread apart all along the tiller?

Thanks,
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: Cajun Tiller Tamer - Tips for use?

Post by Terry »

I've tried several methods similar to what you are speaking of, mostly to self-steer while going forward to raise the main. In light winds or under power, it works fine, as you say. Under more wind, it doesn't because it isn't self-steering, but for holding a fixed course, for a short time, it seems to me.

To self-steer, without a couple grand worth of gear attached to the stern, there are several methods available. There are a couple good videos out there to. Search 'self-steering' and check them out.

All the best.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

swhfire21 wrote:I had seen previous posts and the video of the cajun tiller tamer and gave it a try on our first sail yesterday. It worked really well under power and light winds, but not so well when the winds built up to 10 MPH. How many wraps are most people using? Also, is there a specific way the wraps are to be made as the video shows a nice tight wrap, but mine had a tendency to spread apart all along the tiller?

Thanks,
Lashing your helm is not steering. If the sails and helm are balanced (i.e., you're not turning) and conditions stay the same, your heading will stay the same. Otherwise, no.

I prefer a line going from coaming to tiller, taking a round turn and then making off the bitter end with a rolling hitch. It's easy to adjust and unlike the cajun alternative, you can keep the force at right angles to the tiller. I suggest some chafe gear on the tiller if you're a frequent user.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

Thanks for the feedback.

I basically single hand all the time as the Admiral is just along for the ride when she is on board (her preference). So I am basically just trying to lash the tiller for a few free handed moments at a time. Anything longer than that and I heave to (a lot more comfortable in the 26 than it was in the Ty).

I had a tiller tamer on my Ty but found that it would bite my fore arm quite often and painfully if I did not pay attention to my grip or tried to rest my arm on the tiller. I like Neil's idea as its just plane simple, not sure though about cutting the cockpit in half with another line. The cockpit on the 26 is quite short to begin with, I'll have to see where this would fall in reference to the helm and admiral's favorite seating.

Thanks,
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ