Repair Inflatable Dinghy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Michael_Typhoon

Repair Inflatable Dinghy

Post by Michael_Typhoon »

I use a 6 ft inflatable for my dinghy and recently the bottom seam came apart from the side tube.
I bought some PVC adhesive from West Marine and I'm going to apply it this weekend.
Anyone have recommendations on how to "apply pressure" once the goop has gotten tacky on both sides of the repair?
Keep the tube inflated?

Michael
Jim Walsh

Re: Repair Inflatable Dinghy

Post by Jim Walsh »

That's what I'd do. I'd also never step on that spot again but that because I'd know who had done the repair :D
I've patched a couple pinholes in my Zodiac but nothing like a floor seam repair.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Carl Thunberg

Professional Repair

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I do almost all of my own work, but inflatable dinghy repair is not one of them. The cost of a professional repair is very reasonable, and the peace of mind that comes with it is priceless. You may want to get a quote from a professional. The price may be less than you think.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Michael_Typhoon

Well, the seam was easy enough to fix. All I was doing was gluing the two pieces together.
Came together just fine and seems very strong.

But, now it appears I also have a slow, unidentifiable leak!
I had it in storage for 2 years and now it isn't holding air as it should.

Has anyone used that Inflatable Boat Sealant stuff?
http://www.inflatablesealant.com/index.html
Basically you put the goo in the deflated chamber, inflate, roll it around to coat the inside of the chamber -
and then the "Magic Happens" and no more leak.

Actually, sounds just like the tire sealant stuff I've had to use in an emergency. So, the theory is good.
But anyone actually tried it?
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

If this is for use in a swimming pool I might try it. I would hate to be in the harbor, halfway to the boat, and find out that it has stopped working.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Michael_Typhoon wrote:Well, the seam was easy enough to fix. All I was doing was gluing the two pieces together.
Came together just fine and seems very strong.

But, now it appears I also have a slow, unidentifiable leak!
I had it in storage for 2 years and now it isn't holding air as it should.

Has anyone used that Inflatable Boat Sealant stuff?
http://www.inflatablesealant.com/index.html
Basically you put the goo in the deflated chamber, inflate, roll it around to coat the inside of the chamber -
and then the "Magic Happens" and no more leak.

Actually, sounds just like the tire sealant stuff I've had to use in an emergency. So, the theory is good.
But anyone actually tried it?
I think it's time to perform some last rites. A six foot inflatable with a floor seam problem and a slow lek, is (IMHO) heading for the last roundup. Better to watch it sink from a distant vantage point than from aboard.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where inflation can be a good thing.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

If it's a slow leak, it's a small leak. The number one tried and true tested method to find a slow leak is a mixture of soapy water applied with a paint brush. Cover the boat (starting with seams, fittings, etc. and if needed cover the entire fabric) with the soapy mix until you see bubbles expanding. There is your leak.

I'd start with the seam repair. It doesn't take much of a miss in the patch to get a small leak.
Last edited by Jerry Hammernik on Apr 30th, '14, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Michael_Typhoon

I used the ol' soapy water approach and quickly found a small puncture. Easily fixed and she was as good as new this weekend.
Had an enjoyable sail in St. Augustine, FL.