wood coming apart on back rest

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richmond

wood coming apart on back rest

Post by Richmond »

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice on the bilge pump. I was hoping I could get some further advice on my starboard side back rest. As you can see, the teak veneer has partially delaminated from the wood underneath (this was due to condensation). Is there any way to fix this or am I stuck buying a new piece of teak plywood?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: wood coming apart on back rest

Post by Jim Walsh »

Looks like the backside of the backrest? If so, and the part that shows when in the down position is in good shape, I'd find it real easy not to do a complicated repair since it's out of sight. I'd do anything which would stabilize it and keep it from getting any worse. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

If you can clamp it somehow or even just tape it to hold while glueing I would use a water proof wood glue like Titebond III and glue it up. I have found Gorilla glue doesn't seem to work well on teak but I might not be doing something right. My brother, an accomplished wood worker, swears by sanding the wood immediately prior to glueing. Glue it up. Tape or clamp to hold, maybe use some wax paper and wood pieces to spread the load under a clamp. Wipe off the excess and then after it sets, remove tape, lightly sand and finish. This should prevent any additional delaminating.

If your interior is like mine - oiled, not varnished - I really like using a lemon oil without any silicone or wax in it. Pure lemon oil like I have been using for ten years (Same bottle) on our interior teak, makes the wood glow a deep color, retards mold and mildew and smells lovely. Make sure you do it with the port lights open though! I like to do it on a hot day when the wood just soaks it in, then go for a cold swim. I swear I can almost hear a sigh for the teak. But then again there are a fair few VOC's going around the cabin.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Richmond

Post by Richmond »

Jim you're right it is on the non visible part of the back rest. I should have glued it when it first started delaminating but too late for that now. At least as you said it's out of sight :). Paul, thanks so much for the helpful info, I'll use your advice to prevent any further delamination.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I got rid of the backrests on Raven.

This would be your easiest solution. It will give you more room and access to the book shelves when you are in your bunk. The backrests just seemed to get in the way and I had to deal with more cushions which are also in the way at times and are not really needed. I find that a few pillows function much better than the back rests. You can pile them up however they serve you best at the time. I use them for sleeping sitting and wedging myself in when things are rough. If they start to get nasty or I want a change, I can toss them and buy new ones. I think that boat cushions have a lot to do with how fresh a boat smells. The fewer the better.

This option will also leave you with some usable teak plywood, which could be used for other projects.

If you do want to repair them, I would glue down whatever was salvageable and and then fair in the rest of the back with epoxy and paint it. It seems like the delamination was cause by moisture trapped in that space. Sealing the backs with epoxy and a good coat of paint will eliminate future moisture problems and will make things nice and bright when the rests are raised.

Backrests, we don't need no stinkin backests, Steve.