Witch Sale or better "Which Sail" for the solo sailor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Squid

Witch Sale or better "Which Sail" for the solo sailor

Post by Squid »

Some quick background. This will be my third season out on the Chesapeake with this boat. Since I can now see the end of the list of get done maintenacne items to accomplish during our toooo long winter I am looking at a better list of things to get done on the water. I call them my training or practice events. I have yet to play with the boat much sailing solo with a single sail. My question or topic for discussion is…. What is the feeling or opinion on what sail to use when lazy sailing single handed with only one sail?

My intentions are to go out in different conditions and work through how the boat handles in various conditions, with a single sail. I wanted to get some thoughts prior to the run through. I would think that, as a full rig, the power coming from the 135 genoa would make sailing with the genoa only as the first option… ???

For reference the boat is a 30 MKII so it's a little wider (10.5 vice 9), as mentioned a 135% genoa, movable traveler (not the pegs), soft vang, topping lift worked from the mast.

I mention this with the thought that genoa only may put additional stress on the rigging so it could be compensated a bit by using the main sheet and toping lift.

Any experience or thoughts?
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Big E
Salem, MA

Re: Witch Sale or better "Which Sail" for the solo sailor

Post by Big E »

Your post begs a question...Do you have a roller furling jenny?
The answer you're not going to like is that your boat sails BEST with both sails up.

That being said...I've found that with "lazy sailing," the main alone does better on a run or a reach.
The Jenny alone does better upwind but it's a bumpier ride.

If you don't have roller furling you might want to make the investment. In my humble opinion when sailing alone I think it's best to stay off deck as much as humanly possible.

I hope this helps.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Agree boat sails best with both sails…(balance), and to date is the only way I have sailed it, with minor exception. But as the question went, not the experiment. I do have roller furling and forgot to mention. And your comment about point of sail is what I thought might be the case, part of why I wanted to do the test…Thanks for the input, appreciated. I will run a few legs and test it both ways for handling, hopefully in about 7-10 knots first.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

I single-hand almost all the time in the same area, and when I'm too lazy to deal with both sails what I generally end up doing is headsail-only for lighter winds--say less than 10kts--and main-only for anything higher. Basically, the trade off is the headsail is easier to manage since you don't have to worry about jibing the boom (which is great in light wind that can be from variable directions, especially if you're trying to go downwind), but the main seems safer since the boat will just round up if something goes awry, plus you don't have to go on deck to fool with the main. I have hanked-on headsails, though, so the hassle of raising and lowering each one is about the same. If I had roller furling I could see myself using just the headsail a lot more.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Thanks… Good info and I will make a few test runs.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Downwind, the genny only if short crew. If the wind is over 15 and I have main and genoa, I have had the wind catch the main and she will round up hard, even with the rudder full over. Not fun. We sail just as fast with genoa only, and gybing is a no-brainer.

Yes, try sailing wide upwind with no main. It works, but compare your gps track w/ and w/o the main.

One more thing- try heaving to in light, moderate, and then heavy wind.

Both sails up, hard to wind, tack a bit slowly, and leave the genoa sheeted to the now upwind side. Let the main out as you come over, and when the genoa gets pinned aganst the mast, swing the tiller (or wheel) hard over to the other side. The boat will be locked, and will pinch up with any forward motion, then stop and fall off as the genoa pushes the bow down.

To exit, pull the tiller to windward and tack the genoa.

No worries about strain on the rig. It will take any combination of sails if it's tuned and not rotted.
12-15 kt wind, sheet in tight and point for best speed hard on the wind (above a beam reach)

The leeward upper shroud should still be snug, not flappy, and the forestay should have 8-10" of sag if you go to the bow and sight up the forestay. Half the time, that gets you 90% of the way there...

An amazing feat if you learned sailing later in life or are self taught. I'm always a bit surprised at how many forget this trick when things are crappy and you need a moment to sort it all out.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Maine Buzzard,
Thanks much, all good info. Sort of the root of the question is when I have gone out the first few times after Winter I run through the basics (I am not a sailor from a young age) a few times to get back in the saddle a bit. I have found that some previous advice, "always practice everything because eventually you will need to do it" has become accurate. I do practice heaving to, usually in light to moderate winds. Last year, almost at the end of the season I had a need to heave to when I was coming near the entrance channel getting ready to drop sails and just started then engine and then lost the engine (electrical issue). The wind was 23knots so I got my practice in twice last year. It wasn't seamless, but I went through the manuver and got her pretty still, dropped the anchor before I got in trouble. I have sailed through both channels right up to my pier (light winds) but this time it was dusk with 23 knot winds and it was time for the "back to the dock races" with everyone looking for then entry to the LA freeway. I didn't want to become the new hazard to navigation. Watching a few skippers snub at the boat as I called for a short tow to my dock as the wind continued to pick up. My instincts went to.. … "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"… But all is now working.

This question came up while I was making my list of all the things to run through during my first couple of under-ways to get back to battery and thought I had never practiced intentionally sailing with either sail alone to test performance and trim, etc. Good time to do it… So, all the thoughts and comments are appreciated, will take the notes and run her through a few paces.

Of note, I did replace all the standing rigging last year.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

Good questions here and lots of answers.
For me it all depends on wind strength and apparent wind angle.
Very light upwind almost always a hank on drifter. Basically the only thing that will hold a breeze especially in choppy conditions. The same is true downwind.

I find I sail mainless far more often the headsailless, usually a beam reach or more.

When the wind is up I am surprised no one, so far, mentioned using the staysail alone. Great lazy man's sail. If clubbed it is very easy to use and requires no handling at all. In 25 or more knots it should provide enough drive to go on the wind. Then it is only the seas that knock you around.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!