Waste Hose Replacement & Broken Head

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

swhfire21

Waste Hose Replacement & Broken Head

Post by swhfire21 »

Had some pretty strong odor issues from the holding system. I determined that some of it was coming from old permeated hose, but most from leaking hose connections. Someone in the boat's history had started removing hose clamps in preparation of replacing the hoses (I assume), got frustrated on third fitting (they only finished 1 of 5 hoses) and called it quits leaving several fittings loose or missing clamps. Also the vacuum breaker appeared to have been leaking as well.

Everything was pretty accessible for this project. So I planned a whole day (mid 50's and rainy, so why not) to replace all of the hoses (5 total). It took every minute then some:

- Picked up materials previously ordered - 1/2 hour
- Pulled all the old hose out and removed head from boat to make room (set in garage for safe keeping) - 1 hour
- Realized holding tank was a frozen block of ice (a previous pump out did not work apparently) - 1/2 hour to remove tank and 4 to thaw/empty it while doing other stuff
- Cleaned and sanitized wood work, sides of hull and bilge to remove offending materials left from leaks (1 hour)
- Cut new hoses to length - 1/2 hour
- Reset tank and set new hoses into place - 1/2 hour

Up till now this project was going like clock work and had been pretty easy. Then it was time to insert the ends of 4 hoses onto 8 barbed hose fittings. This required 4 - 5 hours of cussing, pounding, straining/pulling muscles, hair dryers (and burns), dish soap, trying different fittings and every other trick in the book. Holy crap! I'm known to cuss when working, but making these hose connections probably resulted in a new personal best. Whoever invented this waste hose and fittings should be drawn and quartered.

Then for the grand finally. I dropped the head onto the concrete floor of the garage as I was picking it up to put it back in the boat. I know have a Raritan Compact II with shattered bowl. The most exciting part of all this is that I'll have two more hose connections to make once I locate a new bowl or replace the head (depending on cost). I can't wait!!
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ
RC James

Re: Head Replacement

Post by RC James »

Just wait...... now it's time to see if the new head's base fits the old screw holes.......

As a friend of mine told me years ago, when working on a boat, "Estimate the time you think it will take to do the job, Double it, and ADD 10%".
It's been pretty accurate for me.

As an aside....... a frozen holding tank is much better than a ripe one.

RC
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Waste Hose Replacement & Broken Head

Post by tjr818 »

Can you say "Composting Head"? No hoses, no leaks, No odor...free compost. :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Steve

You are supposed to place a warning sign on the land end of the pier.
" It it recommended that no children, women or preachers venture past this point."
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

I will soon feel your pain. I hope to install a new Raritan head and all new hoses on S/V Bali Ha'i. All the old hoses and old head were removed several months ago.

I have not yet bought the hose. What hose did you buy :?: Did you have a particular reason for picking the hose you selected versus other brands, etc. :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Understand your pain. Mine had been installed by PO with wire reinforced radiator hose. Could not even cut it with a knife to get the stuff out.
Have A Nice Day
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Maybe when you find a new bowl, all the hose fittings will be in the same place as the old one.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

Robert,

The hose was a Shields' product. I basically just matched the hose to what the PO started to install.
Steve
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

Thanks. I think that is the Trident sanitation hose that I plan to use.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
steveg

Post by steveg »

Robert,

I have been working on replacing the hose. I have used pvc pipe and have some of the Sealand odor free hose for the ends where it connects the pipe to the holding tank, and where the pipe will connect to the head. Just waiting for it to warm up a bit and the boat to come out of the barn as it seems like the heat gun will be needed to get the hose to soften up enough to make the connections. I tried to copy what others have depicted on this site. It looked like the hose as was originally installed was not sloping toward the tank. Several 90 degree bends were also not helpful to the installation in my view. By using the pvc and drilling new holes for it there is a definite slope to the tank and it eliminated most of the sharp bends in the hose. Just an alternative to using all hose. I think the pvc will also reduce the odor that appeared to be emanating from the hose.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
steveg

Post by steveg »

Accidental double post. Not sure how to delete entirely?
Last edited by steveg on Jan 15th, '14, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

I had thought of using a heavy duty PVC pipe to run along the portside from the head to the holding tank. I decided against it primarily because it would require at least two (2) additional connections (hose to PVC pipe) with clamps, etc., and be a source for escaping odors, gases, etc.

I will check the level of a hose going from the head to the holding tank. It seemed fairly level when I removed the old one. If not level, rather than a PVC pipe I might try just elevating the hose a little near the marine head end of it.

All the above being said, the fact remains I know very, very little about all of this and am pretty much "operating without a net". :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
steveg

Post by steveg »

Hi Robert,

When I removed the old hose it was obvious the fluid was pooling in the hose at certain points. It also appealed to me to be able to make the run more linear. After the hose was out you could smell the odor from the hose. It seemed to me to be good to replace it either way.
Steve

swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

Another lesson learned from the job, don't handle your toilet with wet, gloved hands. That lesson cost around $280 (Raritan PCH).

Tried getting bowl for other toilet at first. It was cheaper to by a new toilet by time I through in the rebuild kit I was going to put in.
Steve
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I also went thru the frustration of trying to marry pvc fittings to sanitation hose- what a PITA.
I used the white shields sanitation hose and marelon fittings that actually fit the hose ID, no heating, filing or lubing needed.
Used the flexible hose from head, vented loop , past diverter valve then solid pvc to H tank. 1 - 22-1/2 degree fitting and 2 45's all pitched down to tank. Knock on wood, no problems.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989